Nov 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Quick question for ya'll. I just took the DAT and did well: 24AA 21TS 26 PAT. My plan was to wait until next summer to apply and then have a gap year, but I'm wondering what my chances are at this point with those scores? GPA is not too great: 3.1 (mercy for Duke Biomedical Engineering?) UNC is my number 1 as I'm an NC resident, but also considering out of state. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
GPA is a little on the low side. Just apply REALLY early next year. It's a bad idea to rush, because you're going to need to write the personal statement, gather LOR's from professors/dentists/advisor, send transcripts from every school, and fill out secondaries (expect to do more writing here - essays, etc.). Oh and...it takes about 4 weeks for AADSAS to mail out your application after you have finished everything (minus secondaries - which come after schools receive your app). At this point, if you were to send today, schools probably won't get to it until January (especially since most schools close for the holidays). However, assuming you send in a few weeks, schools won't get to it until Feb - interview in March?

Anyway, if UNC is your #1 choice, then just wait - eliminate the regret factor. Apply/submit in June 2011 and you'll have the upperhand. Congrats on your scores by the way!

iamgosu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2008
Status
Dental Student
hey boomshakalaka
i would recommend you do this:

make the AADSAS account if u havent already, look through all the stuff you have to fill out, and pretty much do it on a Word Document file or something.

So next cycle, u can pretty much copy+paste your way to Acceptance!!

jeffity

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2009
Status
Dentist
hey boomshakalaka
i would recommend you do this:

make the AADSAS account if u havent already, look through all the stuff you have to fill out, and pretty much do it on a Word Document file or something.

So next cycle, u can pretty much copy+paste your way to Acceptance!!
Is this a legit move? I've been told to do the same, but they suggested a fake account. I didn't see the point of the fake name...especially since you need a DENTPIN anyway. As long as I don't hit submit, am I fine creating a real account, scoping it out, and letting it fade away until I crank another one up for next cycle? I'm all about getting stuff submitted ASAP.

redchesus

10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2007
Status
Dentist
Is this a legit move? I've been told to do the same, but they suggested a fake account. I didn't see the point of the fake name...especially since you need a DENTPIN anyway. As long as I don't hit submit, am I fine creating a real account, scoping it out, and letting it fade away until I crank another one up for next cycle? I'm all about getting stuff submitted ASAP.
Yeah do that, they delete all the accounts and start fresh for the next cycle anyway.