Did you all see that great article on UPN 9 News?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecoldwind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I watched a great article on hte UPN 9 News, but I live in New York- so I am not sure if it was aired everywhere.

It was about American students that leave America to get a Medical School education (international). It was great and inspiring. They had on two doctors. One went to Ross and the other went to St.George. They weren't exceptional students (you know, straight A's) but they had a passion for medicine. After watching this article I was really inspired. These two doctors were giving back so much compassion to the community, and if it wasn't for international schools (like Ross and St.George)- we wouldn't have the pleasure of having physicians like them. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that. It was pretty interesting! Good luck to all the IMG's

Oh~ Wow~
Can somebody tell me more about this story? I would really like to hear about this, because I am also interested in either Ross or St. George's...
Thanks~

Members don't see this ad :)
The article was on UPN 9 News in New York. The story wasn't so much about the two schools. It was more about the opportunity to become a doctor (even if your not a superb student). You may find the story on the UPN 9 website. Hope this helps.

Yeah~ I am thinking of going to either Ross or St. George because I am not a superb student either. I tried find the article in www.upn9.com for like an hour but just couldn't find it.

I am about to email to that TV station, so is it okay if you tell me when and what time that they aired the show?

Thank you~

Ah yes. In less than ideal soil, with just enough water to nourish, the vines must often struggle to grow. But the struggle often produces the sweetest grapes.

Channel UPN 9 news at 10 pm on Sunday 11/3/01. I tried to get the article off of the UPN 9 news, but they don't seem to have it in any archives.

It's my general impression that in the public domain, dedication and committment to medicine is the one of most important qualities of all. And on various residency program and medical schools' websites, such quality is deemed essential as stated on their program's "philosophy". However, when it comes down to residency selection, we are still being discrimnated one way or other. And if were you talk about dedication, leaving US to pursue a medical education in a third-world country is more than a solid proof. But still, this course of dedicated action does not impress some residency program. That's fine. But what bothers me the most is the hypocrisy behind all their B.S. about "dedicated" doctors.

Hi~ Thanks guys, but this person from UPN9 TV emailed me back and wrote me the transcript. Here it is for those who are interested...

"DOCTORS CAN BE UP TO A HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS IN DEBT WHEN THEY GET OUT OF MEDICAL SCHOOL. THAT'S WHY MANY OF THEM DON'T HEAD TO THESE URBAN AREAS. THE PRESIDENT OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL COLLEGES TELLS US HE'D LIKE ANOTHER GOVERNMENT PROGRAM EXPANDED -- ONE THAT FORGIVES COLLEGE DEBT IF A DOCTOR BEGINS THEIR CAREER IN A SHORTAGE AREA ...

AMONG THE WATERFALLS AND ISLAND CHARM OF THE CARIBBEAN, THEY FOUND ROSS MEDICAL SCHOOL WHERE STUDENTS DON'T HAVE TO HAVE HIGH GRADES TO BE ACCEPTED. AFTER GRADUATION, BOTH RETURNED TO THE U.S. AND PASSED THE VERY SAME TESTS AS ANY U.S. EDUCATED MEDICAL STUDENT. BOTH DR. REID AND DR. KLOSER HAD C's AND B's IN HIGH SCHOOL, NOT THE A's MOST U.S. MEDICAL SCHOOLS REQUIRE ...

THE ROSS UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOL GRADUATE IS TWICE AS LIKELY TO GO INTO AN UNDERSERVED AREA AND DELIVER PRIMARY CARE AS ANY U.S. MED SCHOOL GRADUATE AT LARGE AND THAT'S MEETING A REAL SOCIETAL NEED IN THE U.S. ...

AND THERE IS A GREAT NEED. URBAN AREAS THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY, INCLUDING NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY, FACE SEVERE DOCTOR SHORTAGES. AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ALBANY, ED SALSBERG STUDIES TRENDS IN MEDICINE. HE DOESN'T THINK U.S. MEDICAL SCHOOLS ARE READY TO LOWER STANDARDS LIKE THOSE AT ROSS UNIVERSITY BUT ARE CONSIDERING EXPANDING A PROGRAM THAT GIVES HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES AN EXTRA YEAR OF HELP TO RAISE THEIR GRADES."