Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

did you apply to MD schools question?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by JO300, Nov 22, 2005.

1. JO300

JO300 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    why some time the DO schools ask during the interviwe if we applied to MD schools?
    and if the answer is yes or no how will effect their dicision?
    do the DO schools know if we applied to MD school?

thank you so much.
    Joana

2. peace84

peace84 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think they know unless we tell them. When I was asked this question during my interview I was honest and told them I was applying to quite a few allopathic schools. I was accepted, so I don't think they really care, as long as you show genuine interest in osteopathy.

3. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I always phrased it as a numbers game. I wanted to get into medical school this cycle so I applied to both. Then you throw in the comment that osteopathic schools have raised the reputation over the last 100 years that I do not see a difference in the basic education then <insert some osteopathic spiel>

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kahoo99

kahoo99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i was asked...i told...i still got in...the adcom know that the more competitive appliacants will almost always be applying to both.

5. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

at MSUCOM, my interviewer asked where else I had interviewed, and I told him Wayne State and Umich. So, he knew that I applied MD as well. The bottom line is this: the practice of medicine, whether you are MD or DO, is exactly the same in almost all cases. I think only 5% of DOs actually use OMM. Physicians know this...so if you just want to be a physician and don't care about MD or DO, there is nothing wrong with admitting that. I did get admitted to MSU COM by the way, so being honest did not hurt me.

6. SF83

SF83 Member
    5+ Year Member

I find it extremely unethical for schools to ask what other schools you have applied to, DO or allopathic. It really is non of the admissions committee's business and should not hinder/help any applicant gain admission.

I was asked at one of my interviews all the schools I applied to and my status at the school without beign asked why I chose to apply to MD school as well.... I found the question to be inappropriate especailly cause I feel I can defend my real interest in osteopathic medicine and reason for applying to MD school.

7. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Same happened to me at the interview. I still got in so there's no.

8. Richie Truxillo

Richie Truxillo Your Scut Monkey Mentor
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I applied to both. I told WVSOM I applied to both. I got accepted to both.
    Now you see where I ended up.

I don't think it really makes a difference if you goto the place you feel is the best fit for you personally. I was honest with everyone I interviewed with. It worked for me.

:thumbup:

9. raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i interviewed at 3 osteopathic schools. only one of them asked me, but it was a generic question, just conversational, after the official interview part was over. my interviewer was just curious as to what other schools i was interested in. i was honest about applying to both, i told her my main goal was to stay close to home. no one really seemed to care. i think they assume everyone, at the very minimum, has at least tried to apply to their local state MD school, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was asked and I just answered that I applied to my state school since it was the best financial choice for me. I decided not to mention how MANY MD schools I applied out of fear that it may give them the impression that I only did DOs as an afterthought (I didn't). All in all, telling them the truth and giving them practical reasons for doing so (maximizing chances, staying in one location etc) seems good enough. That school that asked me this was also the first school to accept me, so I don't think it hurt my app at all. ;)