kjb875fd

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
is it worth checking? i expect that all my credit should be good.

if yes, where should i check? as i understand it, the only place to get your real score is at www.myfico.com

do i need to buy report from all 3 agencies or is 1 good enough?

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
hey, I actually just checked mine yesterday. I found a couple credit cards that were still open but I don't use. so it's good to close those out. but i mean, i got the credit report free from citibank. u can see if ur credit card has some kind of offer like that.

akpete

Drinks, anyone?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Madison
Status
Resident [Any Field]

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
It's definitely worth checking, some small thing that you didn't take care of or didn't know about could easily show up. When I checked, I had two accounts open that I didn't know about and one ding against me that wasn't my fault and I had removed. All three showed something a little different, so it's worth it to check all three. www.annualcreditreport.com linked me to all three and you shouldn't have to pay, each person is supposed to get 1 free look per year.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Do all schools ask for a credit report before matriculation? Or is there a list of schools that ask for it somewheres?

Pingu

The Imelda Marcos of Path
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Neiman Marcus, Northpark Mall
Status
It's always a good idea to check it on a regular basis, especially with identity theft on the rise. Also, most reports have errors which typically are not your fault but can lead to higher interest rates, etc. It doesn't hurt you to check it.

txguy

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
Blue Scrub said:
Do all schools ask for a credit report before matriculation? Or is there a list of schools that ask for it somewheres?
Its always good to check it out and make sure everything is ok. Like an above poster said, I also found a few credit cards I thought I closed that were still open......

I would go with a service that lets you get a report from all 3 bureaus (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax)...each one might have different data on you, so it is a good idea to get all 3. I used myfico.com--they even told me what positively and negatively affected my credit scores. Hunt around and see which service you like best.

Good luck :luck:

-tx

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
CoffeeCat said:
It's definitely worth checking, some small thing that you didn't take care of or didn't know about could easily show up. When I checked, I had two accounts open that I didn't know about and one ding against me that wasn't my fault and I had removed. All three showed something a little different, so it's worth it to check all three. www.annualcreditreport.com linked me to all three and you shouldn't have to pay, each person is supposed to get 1 free look per year.
Thanks for the link CoffeeCat. For those of you worried about this being legitimate (as you should be with anything "free") here is the link to the FTC that mentions this service:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

bewitched1081

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2004
Visit site
Status
some credit card companies allow you to log into their sites and see your report for free whenever you want. so check out websites of the credit cards that you have.