did you check your credit report?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjb875fd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it worth checking? i expect that all my credit should be good.

if yes, where should i check? as i understand it, the only place to get your real score is at www.myfico.com

do i need to buy report from all 3 agencies or is 1 good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, I actually just checked mine yesterday. I found a couple credit cards that were still open but I don't use. so it's good to close those out. but i mean, i got the credit report free from citibank. u can see if ur credit card has some kind of offer like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely worth checking, some small thing that you didn't take care of or didn't know about could easily show up. When I checked, I had two accounts open that I didn't know about and one ding against me that wasn't my fault and I had removed. All three showed something a little different, so it's worth it to check all three. www.annualcreditreport.com linked me to all three and you shouldn't have to pay, each person is supposed to get 1 free look per year.

Do all schools ask for a credit report before matriculation? Or is there a list of schools that ask for it somewheres?

It's always a good idea to check it on a regular basis, especially with identity theft on the rise. Also, most reports have errors which typically are not your fault but can lead to higher interest rates, etc. It doesn't hurt you to check it.

Blue Scrub said:
Do all schools ask for a credit report before matriculation? Or is there a list of schools that ask for it somewheres?

Its always good to check it out and make sure everything is ok. Like an above poster said, I also found a few credit cards I thought I closed that were still open......

I would go with a service that lets you get a report from all 3 bureaus (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax)...each one might have different data on you, so it is a good idea to get all 3. I used myfico.com--they even told me what positively and negatively affected my credit scores. Hunt around and see which service you like best.

Good luck :luck:

-tx

CoffeeCat said:
It's definitely worth checking, some small thing that you didn't take care of or didn't know about could easily show up. When I checked, I had two accounts open that I didn't know about and one ding against me that wasn't my fault and I had removed. All three showed something a little different, so it's worth it to check all three. www.annualcreditreport.com linked me to all three and you shouldn't have to pay, each person is supposed to get 1 free look per year.

Thanks for the link CoffeeCat. For those of you worried about this being legitimate (as you should be with anything "free") here is the link to the FTC that mentions this service:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/freereports.htm

some credit card companies allow you to log into their sites and see your report for free whenever you want. so check out websites of the credit cards that you have.