did you defer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgwtfbbq?

yes, really, I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone who got in this cycle defer their seat for a year?

Members don't see this ad.

omgwtfbbq? said:
Did anyone who got in this cycle defer their seat for a year?

bbq:

are you thinking of deferring from UofA? The thought has crossed my mind but I don't know how strict their policy is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about it desertdr.

I don't know though.... I just got a really big opportunity, and its one of those things i know i'll never get to do again full-time (although i would be able to do it extremely part time, maybe in ten years hehe)... so it would be nice. But then again I'm so gung-ho about starting med school, I kind of just want to start! I keep thinking in the year i take off i'd be halfway through basic sciences and only 1 year from boards and well on my way.
If i take the year off, then i'll be starting from scratch at the end of the year, when I could have already been half through the nonclinical stuff!!

It's one of those "opportunity I won't be able to pursue after starting on the path to my medical career, that will actually help me polish some nonmedical skills I want to use in my future career" vs. "I've worked 5 years to get into medical school and 20 nervous breakdowns, $4000 and the MCAT later I'm finally in, lets get this show on the road!"

There are worse dilemmas ;) hehe. I'm just wondering who else is thinking about this and if its worth doing. I'm already dreaming about operating on people!!!!!!! I have medicine on the brain :) :love:

what are you thinking about doing if you ask for a year deferral?
The good thing is, everyone there is so nice, that the thought of asking doesn't make me nervous at all.

I agree with the poster above. I am confused about defering medical school.

I have Merck full time, summer research position in imaging lab and Medtronic internship for engineer (6-8 month) ...and after reading up on SDN, i think I am going to decline all.

I just think taking a year off would add other skills, but then again, am I going to use all this "engineering" in medical school?

Chill in summer -> hit med. school.