Did you enjoy your gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm graduating this summer and was rejected to dental school this past cycle. I will be taking a gap year(s) and will try applying again.

My interviews went poorly, and all I can think about is how I messed up. I've usually been an intrinsically motivated guy who sees failure as a chance for improvement, but this just feels different for some reason.

I've applied to some jobs/volunteer positions but have been getting rejections so far. I do want to improve and grow from these experiences, but have just been pessimistic lately.

If you had gap year(s) did you enjoy them? What helped you make the most of them ? I am so sorry for the whining as well. I promise I'm not usually like this :s

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have the greatest gap year. First, I didn't want to take one, I was rejected from every school I applied to. Second right after the gap year started my fiancée left me suddenly. Then I worked a couple random jobs.

Honestly I went into it with a bad attitude though, had I tried to be more positive I would have enjoyed it more. On the plus side by working random jobs I met some interesting people and had some crazy experiences at work that I would never got if I went straight to school.

Your gap year is what you make it.

Thanks bud appreciate the response. Sorry to hear what happened but props to you for moving forward and keeping your chin up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had two gap years and loved it, would do it again honestly. Either way you don't have a choice, so just be positive about it and appreciate your time of low stress

Reactions: 1 user
In my gap year right now and I love it. I haven't done anything exotic really, but I'm so ready mentally for school. We're really lucky to enter the field. Enjoy your gap year and grow!

Reactions: 1 users
Entering into this cycle I will be in my third gap year. I was always the most motivated and "most likely to succeed" out of all my friends and was blind sided with rejection form Medical school after year 1, rejection from dental school after year 2, and now this will be #3 with hopefully an acceptance.

Like mentioned above, a gap year is what you make it. I definitely never thought I would have to take a gap year but it has been very humbling and I have learned a lot about life in the process. The odd jobs that I have worked have given me skills that I am sure will become very useful as a dentist such as effective communication and knowledge about insurance companies among other misc stuff.

I look back and theres a part of me that wish I could have gone straight into school but there a much wiser part of me that says everything has happened exactly as it should have.

Reactions: 1 users
Had two gap years and loved it, would do it again honestly. Either way you don't have a choice, so just be positive about it and appreciate your time of low stress

In my gap year right now and I love it. I haven't done anything exotic really, but I'm so ready mentally for school. We're really lucky to enter the field. Enjoy your gap year and grow!

Entering into this cycle I will be in my third gap year. I was always the most motivated and "most likely to succeed" out of all my friends and was blind sided with rejection form Medical school after year 1, rejection from dental school after year 2, and now this will be #3 with hopefully an acceptance.

Like mentioned above, a gap year is what you make it. I definitely never thought I would have to take a gap year but it has been very humbling and I have learned a lot about life in the process. The odd jobs that I have worked have given me skills that I am sure will become very useful as a dentist such as effective communication and knowledge about insurance companies among other misc stuff.

I look back and theres a part of me that wish I could have gone straight into school but there a much wiser part of me that says everything has happened exactly as it should have.

Thanks so much :)

I had a couple gap(s). It was adventerous (good and bad, lol). I really worked on my character, as a person, my study skills got really refined, traveled a little bit(nothing grandeur). Learned to play instrument. Built stuff and so on...

It was not by choice but I had some fun. Only advice I have is to stay mentally engaged and read some books regularly, this is so that you don't lose touch on how to study and the material you studied in undergrad.

Don't go into the pharmaceutical industry if you wanna relax during your gap year.

And while I'm thinking about it, taking my gap year has allowed me to learn some of the basics of a trade job. If anything were to prevent me from practicing dentistry (heaven forbid) then I have this skill to fall back on. But it also has allowed me a glimps of what my life could look like and it sure is a motivator to never give up and make the best for myself, as I can't see myself doing what I do now forever.