Did you feel prepared for the USMLE steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamsammich

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, let me acknowledge that I am well aware that Aussie schools don't prepare their students for the USMLE for obvious reasons. But, I was curious to know if U.S. students who went to AUS for medical school felt adequately prepared through self study + information learned through the aussie curriculum to perform well on the USMLE steps.

Cheers.

Edit: It appears I have posted this twice perhaps.

Members don't see this ad.

Nor for Step 1. There was much too little emphasis on the basic sciences in the curriculum and it was hard to learn it on my own.

That said, it was about a million years ago when I was there, so perhaps things have changed because we made a big stink about it.

Nor for Step 1. There was much too little emphasis on the basic sciences in the curriculum and it was hard to learn it on my own.

That said, it was about a million years ago when I was there, so perhaps things have changed because we made a big stink about it.

This really depends on the curriculum. Unfortunately in Oz, there are such a huge range of different curriculums. From PBL/CBL to lecture based courses. Even the 4/5/6 year programs have a different style to them.

In the end, there is a lot less spoon feeding (I would think) then in the Caribbean. On the other hand, friends of mine from Flinders were able to take a semester off to prepare for their USMLEs, some of the schools with less Americans might not allow such a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great, thanks for the information guys. Where are you in school redshift?

Aussie schools do not directly prepare your for the USMLE, the Basic Science component is somewhat lighter with respect to the four year programs in Australia. Regardless, most people here who have taken the test have done very well on it.