Did you feel prepared to take the USMLE steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamsammich

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I am aware that Aussie medical schools do not prepare students for the USMLE because , well for obvious reasons. I'm curious to know from those U.S. students who went to AUS for school whether or not they felt prepared with self study and material learned from the Aussie curriculum to perform well on the USMLE.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people who have sat the USMLE Step 1 have done well on the exam, a number of students do electives in the US. You have to do a lot of work outside of class, so don't expect to come here and go to the beach on weekends. Generally most people who take the Step 1 usually do slightly better on the Step 2 CS and CK which I heard might become one exam in the near future.

A lot of people also wind up remaining in Australia after finishing as well, so these people do not take the USMLE. A lot of physicians in the US that I spoke with regarded Australia highly in terms of medical education and training. I would say education in Australia is as good if not better than North America.

I don't know if you ever feel ready...but honestly, NO, at least in regards to Step 1. Now I understand that there is more focus on the basic sciences compared to when I was a student there, but the PBL attention to the material covered on Step 1 was woefully inadequate.

That said, I passed on 1 try, but my score was no where near stellar, nor was it for most of my classmates. Step 2 was easier given the increased clinical bent as was the CSA (which is what we took at the time).

Members don't see this ad :)
At UQ, we've had fewer than 20 students take part 1 in the past few years. This will ramp up considerably as the number of int'l students and of those wanting to go to the US for res increases considerably. There is only one known fail who re-sat and passed on the second go.

Of those who took it, extrapolating from a survey our med soc gave this year, a few are domestic students (a couple each year) but most are N American.

Short answer is "no." Steps 2 CK and CS (as well as Step 3) are MUCH easier.

EtOH, so in other words you did not feel prepared for the Step 1 but you were prepared for Step 2 CS and CK? What's with the rumors that the USMLE will be pass/fail soon? Wouldn't this hurt IMGs, because the test is the best way to prove you are as good as a US graduate?

Had not heard that rumor... It's hard to imagine that step 1 could be pass/fail, since programs place such a high value on that score to determine interview offers. It is true that step 1 is the best way to prove that you know your stuff, but I also think they expect that FMG's have a lot more time to study for the exam (since almost all US students take the exam after 2nd year of med school). We saw a lot of FMG's with stellar scores this application cycle.
So to answer your question, I don't know if it helps or hurts, or if it will happen at all...
A lot of help I am :laugh:

The USMLE pass/ fail rumor actully started on SDN, when someone was trolling in one of the Caribbean forums