Did you find a Bachelors in Psychology difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters

MOUTHLOVER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

The course part wasn't so tough. I found doing an Honours thesis to be the hardest part of my psych degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. The hardest courses I took were the advanced stats classes and advanced research methods courses that I was allowed to take alongside graduate students (500 level classes). I was only allowed to take these classes because I was an honors student. Also, the work I did in my research lab and on my thesis was much more difficult, but that's because I wanted to learn multilevel modeling, present my thesis at a conference, etc. Basic psych classes (even 300 and 400 level) were a cakewalk.

Statistics, Research Methods, and Biological Bases of Behavior, were the difficult ones for me. I managed to earn nothing less than a B+ in these courses, but I had to work in a different way I wasn't used to, so it was harder for me. Other than that, most of undergraduate school was pretty sweet. The work was still hard, but I really enjoy academia, so it made getting good grades and such a lot easier because I was excited about the learning! When I look back on it though, I don't know how I pulled it off. I worked up to 3 jobs at once while going for my B.A., lived on my own, and got involved in extra academic activities.

My sister got her BS in Psychology and was required to take Statistics I and II and Anatomy and Physiology. They nearly killed her. I remember the book for A&P was about 900 pages (no joke!) and she had tests on every.single.chapter. It was crazy and made me glad I got away with "just" Statistics for Social Workers! :p

Yes in our school General Psych and Stats were the easiest courses. We have an Applications class that is very rigorous and involves lab rats. After that there are two mandatory Experimental Psych courses that are required (Neuroscience, Learning, or Cognition) all very difficult. Once you get through them the senior capstone courses like the seminars were a breeze.

I'm doomed. I'm already finding the courses too hard and I'm only second year. :scared:

I'm doomed.

It depends on what you want to do after graduation. If you're interested in an MSW, many social work students don't receive bachelors degrees in psych.

It depends on what you want to do after graduation. If you're interested in an MSW, many social work students don't receive bachelors degrees in psych.

Some MSW programs actually have quotas (I don't think they'd call them "quotas," but that's what they are) which say that 15% or 22% of students must be non-social workers. They want people with as broad a range of backgrounds as possible. In my first MSW class we had a guy with a BA in Police Science and one with a BA in Hospitality or something like that. They've both since dropped from the program, but it gives you an idea as to what some MSW programs look for. Of course, we also had oodles of BSWs and BA/BSs in Psychology, as well as a few "standard" academic degrees (like History, Art, and Education).