Did you get an e-mail from Louisville today about their MPH program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fajitapita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the University of Louisville School of Dentistry and was not invited for an interview. Today I got an e-mail from them which encouraged me to apply to their one year Master of Public Health program to better my chances for admission at Louisville. Did all of you who were rejected or not invited for an interview get this e-mail as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who interviewed there get an email like that?

Yeah...thanks for assuming if we didn't get in there that we didn't get in anywhere...

I don't know much about Louisville as a dental school, but that isn't as bad as it seems. Most dental schools don't give you anything, but a no. I would take any encouragement I could get on the road to that DDS or DMD, seriously. I know it sounds like a small prize, but really it isn't: The school is giving you a window in which to reapply both better prepared and qualified, and they will know you are a really serious applicant if you were willing to go through their recommended course of action.

Seriously, take it from a dental student, most schools would not take the time to issue any alternative. Just a thought or two. Stay motivated. You can do it.

I've interviewed at U of L twice and have been wait listed, but did not get in. This school is my first choice and I live in Ohio. I've been accepted into Louisville's Master's program in Biology and both the new Dean (Dr. Kearns) and the admissions director (Dr. Babbage) have told me that is exactly what I need to do to get into dental school here. A MPH program will not prepare you for any dental courses, so Bio is the way to go. I can take plenty of elective courses such as biochem, physiology etc... which will help for the 1st year dental courses.

I pulled my application a long time ago and I also got this email. If you read on it says not to respond b/c it's list serve. Makes you kind of want to email them back though... and say you don't need their stupid program b/c you already got into school X and you like it better than their school anyway. No?

Since a lot of you are talking about U of L, I thought I would put in my two cents even if that is all it's worth. This is my second year applying, I graduated with a BS in Microbiology in May of 2006 and obviously did not get into dental school for the 2006 cycle I applied to some masters programs and eventually moved to Louisville from Utah to attend the U of L's masters degree in oral biology. This degree is offered by the school of dentistry and I was told by the dental school that it would be very good program for reapplying. Here is the kicker, I interviewed here at the U of L this year and again did not get in, my main problem is I have a 3.0 undergrad gpa a 18AA, 19TS, 20PAT, Dat score. So I came to the U of L to pursue my masters and boost my application. I have a 3.8 masters gpa and am looking to retake the DAT next month. But I regret ever doing this program, it is a waste of time and is highly unorganized. Dr. Scott the program director is an @$$&*%#. I believe that the MPH is a very good program here and I was originally accepted there but decided that the oral biology would be significantly better for my application. I don't think that one is better then the other now, I believe any masters degree looks good on your application.

I encourage anyone who will listen to me, DO NOT ATTEND THE ORAL BIOLOGY PROGRAM HERE, you will regret it. I am looking to drop out at the end of the semester because Dr. Scott and I do not see eye to eye on certain things regarding what is more important research or dental school. I say dental school is, he says the program is. He literally wants to kick me out of the program and like I said I have a 3.8gpa. One other thing, if you look to move out here from another state to improve your chances, I will say it works but you can't go to school here. If you move here and immediately attend school then they will consider you a non-resident for any and all remaining school that you do here at the U of L. I know others who moved out here and just worked for a year reapplied and got in because they got resident status. I also know others including me who moved out here worked and went to school but because we enrolled in school as non-residents as far as the dental school is concerned it will be hard to get residency now even when or if I get accepted to dental school here, I even bought a house.

I guess I just want everyone who is looking into this to not make the same mistakes that I made regarding the U of L. Don't get me wrong it is a great school but they don't tell you a lot of things up front.

I pulled my application a long time ago and I also got this email. If you read on it says not to respond b/c it's list serve. Makes you kind of want to email them back though... and say you don't need their stupid program b/c you already got into school X and you like it better than their school anyway. No?

Agreed, although I wouldn't say their program is stupid. But yes, I'm grateful that I got into a great dental school and could care less what Louisville thinks of me. But it was a nice gesture of them to say the least.

Since a lot of you are talking about U of L, I thought I would put in my two cents even if that is all it's worth. This is my second year applying, I graduated with a BS in Microbiology in May of 2006 and obviously did not get into dental school for the 2006 cycle I applied to some masters programs and eventually moved to Louisville from Utah to attend the U of L's masters degree in oral biology. This degree is offered by the school of dentistry and I was told by the dental school that it would be very good program for reapplying. Here is the kicker, I interviewed here at the U of L this year and again did not get in, my main problem is I have a 3.0 undergrad gpa a 18AA, 19TS, 20PAT, Dat score. So I came to the U of L to pursue my masters and boost my application. I have a 3.8 masters gpa and am looking to retake the DAT next month. But I regret ever doing this program, it is a waste of time and is highly unorganized. Dr. Scott the program director is an @$$&*%#. I believe that the MPH is a very good program here and I was originally accepted there but decided that the oral biology would be significantly better for my application. I don't think that one is better then the other now, I believe any masters degree looks good on your application.

I encourage anyone who will listen to me, DO NOT ATTEND THE ORAL BIOLOGY PROGRAM HERE, you will regret it. I am looking to drop out at the end of the semester because Dr. Scott and I do not see eye to eye on certain things regarding what is more important research or dental school. I say dental school is, he says the program is. He literally wants to kick me out of the program and like I said I have a 3.8gpa. One other thing, if you look to move out here from another state to improve your chances, I will say it works but you can't go to school here. If you move here and immediately attend school then they will consider you a non-resident for any and all remaining school that you do here at the U of L. I know others who moved out here and just worked for a year reapplied and got in because they got resident status. I also know others including me who moved out here worked and went to school but because we enrolled in school as non-residents as far as the dental school is concerned it will be hard to get residency now even when or if I get accepted to dental school here, I even bought a house.

I guess I just want everyone who is looking into this to not make the same mistakes that I made regarding the U of L. Don't get me wrong it is a great school but they don't tell you a lot of things up front.

Yeah, a dentist I know went to Louisville dental school and also said that people who didn't get in their first try moved to Louisville and worked at the school. Made their face known around the school, got their residency, reapplied and eventually got in.

Agreed, although I wouldn't say their program is stupid. But yes, I'm grateful that I got into a great dental school and could care less what Louisville thinks of me. But it was a nice gesture of them to say the least.

Ok, ok...stupid is harsh... agreed. I would maybe prefer to say "take your wonderful program and stick it where.... "

I applied to the University of Louisville School of Dentistry and was not invited for an interview. Today I got an e-mail from them which encouraged me to apply to their one year Master of Public Health program to better my chances for admission at Louisville. Did all of you who were rejected or not invited for an interview get this e-mail as well?

perhaps email adcom and ask how many from the mph program get into dent after? piece of advice, choose post-baccs very carefully!

the first time i got this email was okay. the second time (a day or two later) i got the same email just irritated me.

Look into all your options before considering this route. I have heard of some doing this and still not even recieving an interview. On the bright side though a MPH is a valuable degree that can get you a good and usually rewarding job just about anywhere in the nation.

I've applied to Dental school now for three years. I'm currently on the "next to be contacted list" at UofL and awaiting the "shuffling" that occurs over the next couple months to see if I squeeze into this year's class or not. I also started the MPH here at Louisville and am finishing up the first year. (It's a two year program). I'm of the opinion that the dental school is pushing "qualified" students into the program to improve it overall. It's new and only in the 2nd year. In this year's graduating class their were 4 students who applied and 2 got in. The 2 that got in would have gotten in whether they were doing this program or not as residents. The other two are quite capable of being in dental school (and if they were residents would be accepted IMO). But neither one was really ever considered and didn't receive interviews even WITH the MPH degree.

I would advise against it personally and look into a Science oriented Masters degree or an MBA. Either of those would guide you in the right direction. MPH isn't a bad program but it definitely has some frustrating aspects about it because it's soo new. It's NOT a hard science and is more geared towards those into the softer sciences IMO. I think MPH is more applicable for those considering Med school than Dental school.

I'd say you're best bet is to look at anatomy or physiology master's programs. That's my advice.

Also if you look to move for residency purposes...KENTUCKY IS NOT THE PLACE TO MOVE TO. Rarely if ever does anyone get in after moving here for at least 2-3 years. And even then, it's not easy. I'd look at other schools/states to move to like Missouri/texas/new york etc.