Did you have a Bachelor's Degree before you applied to pharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cy19861126

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been wondering this about a while, but how many of you have a Bachelor's Degree before you applied? I am currently a sophomore, and I have applied to pharmacy schools already. However, a lot of my friends are saying that I should get a Bachelor's Degree before I apply to pharmacy schools. The reason is that getting a Bachelor's Degree can give you chances for dental and medical schools, and it only takes an additional two years. Now I'm confused. What should I do? Should I forfeit my application and aim for Bachelor's Degree? What did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

cy19861126 said:
Hi. I have been wondering this about a while, but how many of you have a Bachelor's Degree before you applied? I am currently a sophomore, and I have applied to pharmacy schools already. However, a lot of my friends are saying that I should get a Bachelor's Degree before I apply to pharmacy schools. The reason is that getting a Bachelor's Degree can give you chances for dental and medical schools, and it only takes an additional two years. Now I'm confused. What should I do? Should I forfeit my application and aim for Bachelor's Degree? What did you do?

I am getting a bachelor's degree because in the beginning I didn't really know what I wanted to do, and I wanted something to fall back on. But, if you know that pharmacy is what you want to do then there's nothing wrong with applying without the degree. :)

As long as you have completed (or are in the process of completing) all of your pre-reqs you can absolutely go ahead and apply to pharmacy school. While you may be a more competitve applicant with a bachelor's degree it is not a requirement. Plus, if you get in this year you'll be cutting 2 years of school out :)...but if not, you haven't lost anything (except maybe some money) and can continue to pursue your bachelors and apply the following year.

On the other hand, if you are the least bit wishy-washy about what career path you want to take (dental, medicine, pharmacy, etc), then I would highly recommend finishing your bachelors degree before you make any huge career choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
cy19861126 said:

I am pursuing my BS in Biology before applying to pharmacy school. I think it will make me a stronger applicant as well as more academically mature. If you know that pharmacy school is what you really want to do and you get accepted, I suggest to go for that to spare you 2 extra years of school. Jump at the chance while the offer is on the table! HOWEVER, if you are unsure of your commitment to a career in pharmacy, then you might want to seriously consider your other options.

cy19861126 said:

I had my B.S. degree when I applied for Pharmacy school. At USC they said that 98% of applicants held B.S. degrees, so I think it helps.

calrx said:
As long as you have completed (or are in the process of completing) all of your pre-reqs you can absolutely go ahead and apply to pharmacy school. While you may be a more competitve applicant with a bachelor's degree it is not a requirement. Plus, if you get in this year you'll be cutting 2 years of school out :)...but if not, you haven't lost anything (except maybe some money) and can continue to pursue your bachelors and apply the following year.

On the other hand, if you are the least bit wishy-washy about what career path you want to take (dental, medicine, pharmacy, etc), then I would highly recommend finishing your bachelors degree before you make any huge career choices.

I agree with this because if pharmacy school is really what you want to pursue, then you have nothing to lose by applying before obtaining your 4-year degree. That is my plan. :)

I think having a BS before pharm school is a good idea for a couple of reasons.
1. You may love being a pharmacist, but if you get burnt out you'll have options. If you have a BS in something you could do that for a little while, then return back to pharmacy if you like.
2. If you need to work a little during the yr or more in the summer of pharm school you can work in the area that you have your BS in. This could be really good money depending on what your BS is in. I know a few ppl in pharm school that are physical therapists, and one speech therapist. They do contract work while in pharm school. That make 30 something an hr., so they don't have to work many hrs to have money for their car note, gas, etc. This cuts back on using students loans for some of your living expenses.