Did you have social life while being in the PTA (Physical Therapist Assistant) program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjfooeve09

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to start a 2-year PTA program. I am not planning to work. Will I still have the time to go out for lets say 5-6 hours on a Friday night? What do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for PTA school, but I'm currently in PT school. I rarely, if ever, study on a Friday night. Our program pretty much always puts all of their tests on Fridays and by the time I get home that night I'm mentally and physically drained. Any studying I do at that point probably wouldn't be retained anyhow.

I am currently enrolled in a 2 year PTA program and I am in my final semester with just 4 weeks left before I graduate. For my first year in PTA school, I worked part time on the weekends as did many of my classmates. I do think that it is possible to go out for a few hours on a Friday night. In fact, I would encourage it. If going out on a Friday night after a long school week is your way of unwinding, then by all means, please do! But also, have your priorities in line. If you have an exam that following Monday, or aren't grasping a certain concept, I would most definitely choose to use that time to put in a little bit of extra studying. PTA school is very rigorous and will take up a lot of your time and energy, but I do find it very possible to have somewhat of a school/social life balance in the program. However, please keep in mind that I am speaking from my own experiences. You may find that you put in your time to study during the week then have a night or two during the weekend to unwind. Or you may find that school work has been too rigorous during the week so you prefer to do your additional studying on the weekends. Ultimately it all depends on you and how much time you are willing to put in and when. I hope this helps! If you have any other questions regarding my experiences in the PTA program, please feel free to reach out!

I am planning to start a 2-year PTA program. I am not planning to work. Will I still have the time to go out for lets say 5-6 hours on a Friday night? What do you recommend?
You'll have time. I'm in my first tri for DPT and I don't think any of us study on Friday evenings (although Sat & Sun aren't necessarily out of the question if we have exams coming up). We're all just too brain-dead at the end of the week and honestly, you need to take care of yourself and that includes downtime and social time. Definitely expect your social life and downtime to take a hit, but you will have a bit of spare time sometimes.