Did You Match in the Allo Match Today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HCE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, matched IM somewhere. The wait till 1 pm Thursday begins now...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK I am a little fuzzy about the whole thing where people know what they matched, but they don't know where. How the hell does this work?

Students find out only IF they matched today. Those that didn't are able to access a list of all the programs in all specialties that have positions open. Students then start the "Scramble" tomorrow which consists of applying (I think for free, via ERAS) to the unfilled programs that they want to go to.
Interviews are usually done over the phone & the Deans may get involved in trying to secure their students a spot.

If the student takes an offered position, that spot is no longer available for the scramble & that student is barred from contacting any more programs.

So in a weird way the people who did not match actually find out where they are going before the people who did match.

Match Day is March 19th on which day those students that received the "You have Matched" e-mail on Monday find out where they will be indentured servants for the next 3-5 years. :D

Why do they not just tell you where you matched on Monday ??? Who knows ?

There is an article on it on the SDN homepage....informative & also talks about possible changes for next year.
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2009/03/the-scramble-how-it-works-and-how-it-can-be-improved/

Matched Radiology. Congrats all!

i didnt match, and didnt apply to allopathic. does anyone have the unmatched program list???

i didnt match, and didnt apply to allopathic. does anyone have the unmatched program list???

no one can get it till tomorrow at noon and its illegal to give you the list.

The ACGME only provides this to people who did not match, no one else has access to it. The list is released tomorrow at noon. They also state that it is a match violation to distribute this list.

Members don't see this ad :)
ohh ok. can anyone get the list tomorrow?

Great feeling isn't it? Throw away your OMM notes yet?

Congrats everyone. Don't throw away your OMM yet. All DO's must take COMLEX step 3 regardless of whether you are in an ACGME program or AOA program. After step 3, you can throw it away!!

Quit telling lies Archer! You matched into the FP/Omt/proctology program at the Creek.

Emergency Medicine = America's newest primary care specialty!

Have fun with the sniffles and back pain Allendo!

dude....I wish, so I could get some of these freaking loans reinbursed :confused:

All DO's must take COMLEX step 3 regardless of whether you are in an ACGME program or AOA program. After step 3, you can throw it away!!

This is absolutely, 100% FALSE. With a few exceptions, DOs can be licensed with the USMLE.

This is absolutely, 100% FALSE. With a few exceptions, DOs can be licensed with the USMLE.

Really? I've already taken both steps of both exams, sans the CS for the USMLE, would the fact that I don't have CS preclude me from doing this?

Really? I've already taken both steps of both exams, sans the CS for the USMLE, would the fact that I don't have CS preclude me from doing this?

You would have to take the CS in order to sit for Step III. If you've already taken COMLEX PE, then there's no reason why you would want to go the USMLE route for licensure. Here are two reasons why, if you've already taken COMLEX PE, which you should have if you were smart, you shouldn't take the USMLE for licensure:

1) You will have to take USMLE CS and Step III, whereas if you continue with COMLEX, there's only one more to take. Ever.

Did you enjoy taking the PE? Did you enjoy it enough to pay cash money to take the USMLE version of it? If you thought taking the PE was a waste of time and money, what earthly reason would you want to take it again when you don't have to? Do you have the time to travel somewhere between now and residency to take it? Have an extra $1000 + travel money to burn after interviews?

2) The USMLE Step III is a two-day exam. The COMLEX III is a one-day exam. 'Nuf said. Allo people in my program had to schedule two days off to take USMLE III, I only needed a day.

Pfffft, you say. It's one extra day.

It's an extra day off during residency. That's important to me.

Bottom line - going the USMLE route requires more money and at least two extra days of testing. No thanks.

P.S. Here's a little something I found out about my particular situation. I'm considering moving to Maine after residency. I'm licensed in NY which licenses both allo and osteo through one board of medicine. If I were licensed through a separate allo board of medicine, I would have to register through FCVS, pay $300 for them to get my paperwork and verify it and send it to Maine, after which I'd have to pay another $700 for Maine licensure. Maine has a separate osteo board of medicine, and I don't have to go through FVCS, or pay $700. I have to pay $350. A small thing, I guess, but it's already saving me $700, not to mention the other time and expense if I considered going USMLE. Which I never considered.

Last edited:

General Surgery= the lost specialty
"Now shut the hell up and suck my smoke"

You would have to take the CS in order to sit for Step III. If you've already taken COMLEX PE, then there's no reason why you would want to go the USMLE route for licensure. Here are two reasons why, if you've already taken COMLEX PE, which you should have if you were smart, you shouldn't take the USMLE for licensure:

1) You will have to take USMLE CS and Step III, whereas if you continue with COMLEX, there's only one more to take. Ever.

Did you enjoy taking the PE? Did you enjoy it enough to pay cash money to take the USMLE version of it? If you thought taking the PE was a waste of time and money, what earthly reason would you want to take it again when you don't have to? Do you have the time to travel somewhere between now and residency to take it? Have an extra $1000 + travel money to burn after interviews?

2) The USMLE Step III is a two-day exam. The COMLEX III is a one-day exam. 'Nuf said. Allo people in my program had to schedule two days off to take USMLE III, I only needed a day.

Bottom line - going the USMLE route requires more money and at least two extra days of testing. No thanks.

And my decisions made for me. Thanks!

More money, extra two days of testing, AND you lose the ability to practice in certain states.

OR take a 1 day exam and just spend 1 day or less reviewing OMM (honestly, they were easier than the OMM on COMLEX 1 or 2 ... basically free points) and have the ability to be licensed in all 50 states.

To those who matched, congrats. Now go look at the requirements for Resolution 42 and get in contact with the chief resident so that your schedule will fulfill that requirement.

http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocabtres42

General Surgery= the lost specialty
"Now shut the hell up and suck my smoke"

General pshhh, you know I'm thinking CT down the line....

Overhead: "trauma team to the trauma room."
Allendo: "Sweet! Let's do this!"
Archer: "Sorry Allendo, the trauma team means surgeons. I mean, I guess you can manage the airway, but then after that you should probably get back to that guy in 12 with the clap."
Allendo: "Sweet! The clap!"

I didn't match in IM. Now I'm scrambling and trying to get into unfilled Osteopathic programs. And I thought the stress was over. I am sad. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

You have to take 2cs to take 3.

General pshhh, you know I'm thinking CT down the line....

Overhead: "trauma team to the trauma room."
Allendo: "Sweet! Let's do this!"
Archer: "Sorry Allendo, the trauma team means surgeons. I mean, I guess you can manage the airway, but then after that you should probably get back to that guy in 12 with the clap."
Allendo: "Sweet! The clap!"

HAHAHHHAHHA

That **** is f'ing hilarious!

That's fine, you have to round on the *****holes while they are inpatient. Everyone knows how nice trauma patients are!

They dont usually admit trauma under ortho unless its solely ortho trauma. At least at my crib.

I matched IM somewhere in California. Yay! :D

I feel so oblivious asking this, but what's the significance of the "categorical" preceeding some of the specialties ya'll matched?

Categorical for all intents and purposes = linked.

Categorical positions means you are set to be at a surgical or medical residency position in all 3-5 years
Prelim positions are only 1 year in either surgical or medical, then the resident is responsible for finding a PGY2 spot (usually specialties that require a prlim year like gas, some ortho, i think derm and maybe some others...)

I did the DO match so this day isnt my day, but a lot of friends are matching today and these 6 minutes until they find out is ****ING KILLING ME