Did you take calc for med school? (poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you take calc for med school?

• Yes! Of course I took calc. I live for it. I can't sleep at night unless I did some calc.

Votes: 73 84.9%
  • Hell no! Math makes me wet myself so I steered clear of it and only applied to non-math med schools.

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Maryland.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Screw med school I am going to major in underwater basket-weaving.

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

exilio

Jocular Junior
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people actually take math for application to med-school.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually took calc because it was required for my major (biochem). But I chose biochem because I thought it was best for my application, so I guess I indirectly took calc for med school.

damn all you calc takers. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't take calc, what math will you take? i think most med schools require one year of college-level math.

statistics satisfies the general ed requirement for college.

and to answer your questions about med schools demanding math, it breaks down like this:

41.9% REQUIRE some form of math..anywhere from one semester of any college level math up to a full year of calculus

8.1% RECOMMEND some form of math

50% DON'T REQUIRE math in any form nor recommend it.

Originally posted by coldchemist
I actually took calc because it was required for my major (biochem). But I chose biochem because I thought it was best for my application, so I guess I indirectly took calc for med school.

mee too

Yes. My school only offers calculus-based physics, so I had to take three calculus classes.

I actually took 2 years of calculus in high school, so in college I took a refresher course (linear algebra) and a statistics/probability course. But then I knew I would be using a lot of math in engineering, and I don't mind calculus at all.

I knew the stats about the number of schools requiring calc, but as a post-bacc my theory was that I might as well show them I could handle the calculus even if it wasn't required.

Took non-calc-based physics, though. ;) I may be stupid but I ain't dumb.

it was required for my major, but i took it my senior year of high school at a community college - one of the best decisions i have ever made (it was a lot of difficult material to learn, but the tests weren't out to kill you).

a lot of people at my university had an INSANELY difficult time taking calc because it is more or less a weed out class.. i know some people who took calc over the summer at a community college to cover the class and get the grade easier.. many medical schools won't look down on this. but some of the top schools may if you're a borderline candidate..

Calculus is easy, exilio. It's all about the work you put into the class. I took Calculus in high school, but in university it is quite a bit different. The professors don't go at a slow pace, they don't really pay attention if you're learning the material, and it's all your responsibility.

Get a good calculus text, read the text, understand the material, and do as many problems as you can. That's it. Calculus is simple. One of the easiest classes I have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took one semester of Calc in High School at a local college and a semester of stats. Didn't have a problem at any of the med schools I applied to, even those that said 1 year of calc is a requirement. I think taking a semester of stats is infinitely more useful (as well as a hell of a lot easier) than a second semester of calc and I think most med schools consider it as the rest of their math requirement.

yeah, i finally bit the damn bullet and took calc (just finished last week--yeah!) only to find that i was rejected from the two schools i applied to that wanted it. sigh. :(
at least it was an easy one. if anyone lives in boston and wants a nice calc class to take next year, PM me and i'll fill you in.
let's just say i did not retain any math skills from HS (graduated in 94), took no math in college (stats for psych majors doesn't count) and was able to squeak out with an A and A- without studying. not that i recommend the not studying part, but i had no time and even less interest in calc.

and yes, i think stats is much more useful.

also, i've got a copy of calculus for dummies if anyone needs it, i certainly did! :laugh:

you can certainly get into med school without calc, but you should definitely look at the schools you are interested in and make sure it is not required before you rule it out.

All good advice.

But my fear lies in the fact that I am looking to go to xfer to a school that offers no non-calc based physics classes...so I may not have a choice.

And to make matters more complex I have to yake a trig course that is worth zero credits for xfer...because it is a pre-req to pre-calc. :(

I accidently took Calculus and hated my pre-med advisor for not counting up my math credits correctly which lead me to take this class. It was awful, the prof was brand new right out of school and had no idea how to teach. I have no idea what I did in there, but some how I got a B.

If I have to tell you then I don't know. ;)

Actually, it is from a chem test I took last quarter. I was pressed for time and couldn't work this one equation, so I wrote down "Maryland" as my solution. :D

I didn't get any points on the test for it, but it was fun to see the prof's reaction nevertheless.

I didn't take Calc in college because I got AP credit and passed out of it. but I think it's required for a lot of schools, and it helps with physics too.

By the way exilio, I like your reference to "underwater basket weeving" Are you a NOFX fan? :horns:

THE SINGLE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATED THAT CLASS WITH A HOLY, STEAMING PASSION.

In my school, they require Bio majors to take two semesters of Calc, so thats what I did.

But I actually like math, so i probably would have taken it anyway.

I took Calc I and it made me weep.

I got a B- which I felt was a real gift from the professor. :)

yeah i took calc.

got Cs in both semester and it was fine.

much harder than ap calc thats for sure. that caught me offguard. and plus the fact that i was a freshman who didnt feel the need to attend any of those wretched 8am classes. that prolly had a lot to do with it. damn you mandatory discussions!!

I took calc - waste of a year, but it's something you have to do. At least take one semester of it - trust me, lots of people dislike calc; I think that the lower-level calcs are filled with bio majors and the like that would rather not be there. It's just part of the process - it will be ok :)