Did you take "Organic", "Ochem", or "Orgo" Poll II: East/West Coast T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
orgo is so weird

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan --> Orgo.

We also say econ and gen-chem and Pchem. Logical? no. Cute? yes!

This sounds like a pop v. soda debate. We say pop here and own the souls of those who dare say soda.

I attend an eastern school and while I generally refer to Organic Chem by all three terms, people look at me funny when I say orgo. So, the average person either calls it organic or ochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado: ochem, pchem, gen chem, econ, and pop
at least for me.

So..here's the synopsis so far,

Majority of East Coast people say it's "Orgo"
Majority of West Coast people say it's "O-chem"
Majority of Central people say it's "organic".

this is exactly right. i took my first semester of organic chem on the east coast, and it was called "orgo." my second semester was in texas, and it was decidedly called "organic."

O-Chem
Econ
Physio
Cal 1/2/3

...That's just how we roll in the CA :D

:cool:

My response to the zombie thread of epic necromancy;

East coast: Orgo

On another note, people in the South usually do not say "pop," which is more of a Midwest Term, as opposed to "soda" being generally preferred in the East and Cali, "coke" being used mostly in the south "I'll have a coke. What kind? Umm... Sprite," and "Tonic" among the idiot Bostonians. Lots of money went into determining these important findings.

o-chem
p-chem
neurochem
econ
micro

*goes in search of an even more epic thread bump*

orgo- upstate ny

orgo...midwest

lol this thread is so ridiculous

Members don't see this ad :)
totally orgo in a school in philadelphia. i thought it was just my school that said it too...nice to know otherwise

In Florida (UF), pretty much everyone (incl. the professor) called it orgo. a few called it organic, and that was seen as normal, too.

I never heard the term "o-chem" until I read it on sdn...

we call it 51a during the fall
51b during the winter
51c during the spring

"Organic" and "Ochem" make sense, but why hundreds of people at my school (U of F) call it "orgo", I will never understand. I have promised myself I will never say the word.

midwest: o-chem for the class, but I do organic research. Go figure.

then gen chem, quant (quantitative analysis...though I'd prefer to call it Anal chem), p-chem, instrumental (analysis).

also econ, micro, and soda, though soda's a leftover of growing up. Almost everyone else at my school calls it pop.

College of wooster (Ohio): O-chem. Not sure if this is central or eastern. Always thought it was eastern.

South east, it's called orgo at my school. Honestly why do people get worked up about what it's called. "Omg there is no second O in organic how dare you include it in slang!" It's a nickname. So long as people know what you're talking about I feel the english language has done its job.

At my liberal arts college(in MA), it's orgo. At the state school (in NJ) where I'm doing summer courses, it's orgo. I'm studying at Trinity next year, and I'll report back what they call it in Ireland (if I can...won't be taking any chem classes myself).

Small liberal arts college in Iowa -

O-chem or Organic, interchangeably (but never, ever orgo)

A&P for Anatomy and Physiology

gen chem and p-chem

pop... :rolleyes:

Yo guys, I'm from Central Pennsylvania, and we definitely call it o-chem here. Of course, I plan on going to west coast for grad school, but that's just a coincidence. Glad to hear I'll be ready to use the proper lingo!

Midwest (Ohio): ochem....but i call it organic sometimes too.

midwest here, never even heard of orgo

people say ochem and organic here, about 50/50

Yo guys, I'm from Central Pennsylvania, and we definitely call it o-chem here. Of course, I plan on going to west coast for grad school, but that's just a coincidence. Glad to hear I'll be ready to use the proper lingo!

Your 1st post ever is in an 8 year old thread that hasn't been replied to in 1.5 years? :claps:

Yes, in Cali we call it Ochem and we had a profssor named Choe who was really tough so the badasses took choe-chem

Michigan --> Orgo.

We also say econ and gen-chem and Pchem. Logical? no. Cute? yes!

This sounds like a pop v. soda debate. We say pop here and own the souls of those who dare say soda.

Im from Michigan too. My class calls it organic, but i agree with the rest

East coast. I'd say orgo has been most frequent, followed by organic, and very rarely o-chem in my experience.

"Organic" and "Ochem" make sense, but why hundreds of people at my school (U of F) call it "orgo", I will never understand. I have promised myself I will never say the word.
Hey, look, it's me from a year and a half ago!
I'm proud to say that I stuck true to my word. :) I still say "organic" or "o-chem" despite that nasty-sounding word that all the pre-meds spew around here.

Yea in Michigan we say "orgo", probably because "orga" would be awkward. "Ochem" and "organic" sound so boring.

Florida:

we say "orgo", some say "organic" too, no one says "ochem". I personally say orgo most of the time. A small minority also refer to them by the 4 digit course numbers without the prefix. For instance, CHM2033 would be "twenty thirty three".

we also say gen chem, econ, micro, calc, psych, bio...

East Coast and OChem.

I've never heard anyone in real life say "Orgo" because my school doesn't offer an Orgonomics class.

East coast (Smith college) and Orgo. I always thought it sounds sort of unattractive but there you have it...

The extra "o" at the end does not make sense.

I agree. It makes me cringe on the inside when I see or hear "Orgo".

My friends and I usually refer to it as "Organic Chem" when speaking and "OChem" when typing.

from Florida.. everyone at FSU calls it orgo... drives me nuts... i call it ochem bc orgo sounds lame

Texas: ochem.

It's really the only one that makes sense. Orgo is ? and organic could refer to any number of things.

Organic I: "Organic"
Organic II: "O2" ...maybe that was just me though

Oh! Cuz it's, like, essential to our life parts??

Somethin' like that, I guess.. and it's really short.

Also - what is this pop vs. soda thing.

I think you all mean "coke." ;) (This could possibly be a Texas thing haha)

i've always wondered why no one calls it orga....

Oklahoma: Orgo
Vanderbilt: Orgo

Myself: Hell

Jk :p

In the California State University, we took o-chem.

Organic chemistry - o-chem, rarely, "organic."
Quantitative analysis - quant
Physical chemistry - p-chem
General chemistry - gen-chem (or, often, by the course numbers, "111" and "112.")
Vertebrate physiology - vert phys