Did you take "orgo" or "o-chem"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what your schools/students called organic chemisty.

Members don't see this ad.

Ben on "Felicity" took "O-Chem". That was the first time I heard it called that actually :)

ooops... i misspelled "organic". don't think there's a class called "oraganic"..hehe

Members don't see this ad :)
We (my pre-med friends) called it orgy to amuse our non pre-med friends and any eavesdroppers. "What time are we gonna have the orgy session tonight?" or "I learned sooo much from that orgy session last night." or "That orgy session lasted late into the night." :)

I ALWAYS THOUGHT EVERYONE SAID ORGO, BUT IF U DIDNT YOU SHOULD.TAKES A LOT LESS ENERGY TO SAY THEN ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, ALSO ALOT EASIER TO TYPE

Can anyone tell me where the second o comes from in orgo? Everything is there for ochem...but there's just too many o's in orgo. Why isn't it orga? Or if any vowel will do, orgu?

The first time I ever heard organic chemistry called orgo was on this board. We always called it o-chem or organic.

Orgy? That's a good one. We call analytical chemistry anal-chem around here when our non chem friends are around. Some of them honestly think it has to do with feces, since those of us who took it are also micro majors and grads. You know, the whole E. coli reference. Silly people :wink:

Maybe the differences are regional. I am from the West Coast and never heard it called orgo until this website. We always called it o-chem. Maybe East Coast schools have become familiar with organic chemistry as orgo. I don't really know but it is interesting and the locations of the posts for this topic seem to hold the theory up.

I always heard it as o-chem until this board too.

People at UCLA call it Ochem, but I've heard Berkeley folks call it Orgo. I've called it ochem for a long time, but that takes longer than saying orgo so I'm leaning towards calling it orgo now. But I don't want to be like the norcal folks who say hella and hecka which I find to be very lame. Any way you say it, it sucks.

Orgo! Orgo! Orgo! Orgo! Orgo! Orgo! Orgo! :) --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
All I know is that it was a b!tch class! I ain't really give a damn if it was called organic, orgo, or orgy! :)

when took it on the east coast it was orgo, when I took kaplan for the mcat in westwood, and our teacher was a ucla med student/berkeley ugrad it was ochem, so I figured it was a west coast/east coast thing. I prefer orgo, it rolls off the tongue better.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ussdfiant:
•Orgo.•••••Well, second semester it was "urghanic chimistry" for us, uss :) --Trek

•••quote:•••Originally posted by coop:
•when took it on the east coast it was orgo, when I took kaplan for the mcat in westwood, and our teacher was a ucla med student/berkeley ugrad it was ochem, so I figured it was a west coast/east coast thing.•••••I would second that. It's Orgo here in New England, but my friend at UCSD calls it O-Chem.

I agree with orestes1 and coop...definitely an east coast/west coast thing. east coast = orgo; west coast =ochem.

I went to school on the east coast and we all call it Organic. Never heard the term orgo until coming to this board.

southeast here...only organic..never orgo or ochem till this board.

Western New York (NOT the city) - organic only. Never heard orgo or ochem until took/taught Kaplan.

I recently heard some one refer to it as just "O.C."

Well, being the west coast Cali chick that I am - I've always referred to organic chemistry as "ochem" - however after I got my last midterm back, I now call it "that damn class I have to go to in order to get into medical school and that I hope to pass" - which of course doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as "ochem"... :p

-Michelle-

Berkeley peeps call it O-Chem. All the chem people say P-Chem, Inorganic, Gen-Chem. We got a language all of our own depending on location.

In cali we call it O-Chem, physical chem= P chem, and general chemistry = G-chem

yep, g-chem, o-chem, p-chem

It's definitely a west coast/east coast thing. WC: O chem, EC: Orgo. People who say organic are wasting energy on an extra syllable. :D

There's more than just the East Coast and West Coast!!! Nobody ever mentions the midwest. It's like people see us as a bunch of farmers sitting in rocking chairs on our front porch with shotguns in hand.

I'm just a bit upset about the whole "Wash U? Where's that?" idea brought up in another thread. Bleh.