Did you take prep course for GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to study for the GRE and wondered how many people took a prep course (Kaplan, etc.) and whether or not this made a big difference in your score. Unlike the LSAT and MCAT (both of which I've taken), it seems like the GRE is a whole different kind of test, more of an "intelligence test" (like the SAT) rather than a knowledge-based test like the MCAT. So I'm wondering how much Kaplan, etc. would really help.

But....if you don't take Kaplan, since the test is a computer test only now, how do you get familiar with the computer/take practice tests?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not an intelligence test, it tests analytical writing ability, math conceptual knowledge and techniques, and vocabulary/reading comprehension. It's definitely stuff that is learnable rather than something you either have or you don't, like an intelligence test.

I found the CDs that come with prep books (specifically arco, princeton review, and kaplan) to be fantastic resources for learning how to take computer-based tests. It's simulates the real thing.

The book and practice tests were adaquate. The material is not *difficult*, and you can definitely study for it. However, what ETS does it throws in bizarre curveballs (for example, you might get what looks like a right triangle, with one of the inside corners labeled 30' and the other x, and be asked to solve for x. Sounds easy, right? But WAIT! There's no little box in the 90'-looking corner! that measn that could be ANYTHING, and the prob. is unsolveable). The study guides can help you see what kinds of curves get thrown in.

Members don't see this ad :)
the thing about the GRE math section is that it tests logic and critical thinking as much as it tests math...at least I'm assuming that's their thinking behind having such wierd problems.

I took a Princeton Review course (in person, not online). My first practice test score was something like 630 v, 420 q. Immediately after the course, my practice test score was 690 v, 620 q. Mind you my results were only so dramatic because I didn't know basic math concepts like plugging in numbers or how to figure out the interior angles of a triangle. I would also suggest taking the course close to when you are taking the GRE...I took the course in January and have not taken the GRE yet...and I've forgotten a lot of the equations and tricks I learned. The course is expensive however I wasn't self-motivated enough to learn all the stuff on my own...I needed to have someone expecting me to do x and y assignments by Friday...or trust me they would not have gotten done. So if you already have a reasonable grasp of basic algebra and geometry, and are self-motivated, a review book is probably sufficient...if not, a review course may be well worth it.

gah I'm almost tempted to cough up another thousand to take the damn course again, and then take the GRE right away...I'm so averse to math that I literally need someone standing over me shouting FINISH YOUR WORD PROBLEMS DAMMIT *cracks whip* or I pick up the book and 5 minutes later am like...gee look at the pretty bird outside the window. If I were a bird I wouldn't need to be able to calculate quadratic equations. I wonder what's for dinner.

Would you recommend Princeton Review or Kaplan review courses? How much are they? I remember for the MCAT, I chose one over the other b/c they had different strengths regarding the MCAT (Kaplan seemed to offer more practice tests than Princeton Review). Which would you recommend for the GRE?

Also, regarding books to study on your own, which are the best?

Also, regarding books to study on your own, which are the best?

I like the ones I mentioned up there, Arco, Kaplan, and Princeton Review. For some reason I especially liked Arco.

I agree with those who have been saying the GRE doesn't not test hard material. One basicallly needs to just brush up on math from high school. I used the Kaplan book and then the Barron's book. I found the Kaplan book to present the test as being a bit easier than it actually was and Barron's to present it as a bit harder. I studied out of those books for about 2 months and did well. I also found a lot of free tests on the web.

Lastly, make sure to practice on the computer!!! It is really different to do math that way, but it's not hard if you practice.

good luck.

I didn't take a prep-course, bought a few books but never cracked 'em. So, I honestly couldn't say how it helped my score. Sorry.