did you talk to all the PDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did everyone speak to the PDs on interview day. I found that there were some programs (that I will rank highly/#1) that I didnt even find the time to talk to the PD or I merely shook their hand and thanked them

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Did everyone speak to the PDs on interview day. I found that there were some programs (that I will rank highly/#1) that I didnt even find the time to talk to the PD or I merely shook their hand and thanked them

Thoughts?

It doesn't matter. People get "ranked to match" calls from PDs they never met individually on the interview day. The PDs know your app backwards/forwards, get feedback from your faculty interviews, and know whether they want you or not even if there is no individual meeting with you on the interview day. This is not something to stress about because it will not affect your chances of matching at the program. If you want the PD to know that they are your #1, let them know, but be advised that at this point rank lists are in the last stages of being finalized by the programs.

Medicine is a team sport as most specialties are (except urology might be a water sport). With that in mind, a team (aka "selection committee") is making the decision. Your application, grades, USMLE scores, and school speak volumes.

I did not always get to speak to the program director, especially at the "herd" interviews (herd = 40+ applicants). There are many "indepedent" processes going on in the analysis of applications. Your interviewers add some data, and then selected faculty members might independently rate your application. The process has many eyes looking at the application.

Most ROLs should be finalized either this week or next week. I don't think programs wait until around the 24th because the server is going to get clogged! Don't wait until 8 PM on the 24th to submit the ROL!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think programs wait until around the 24th because the server is going to get clogged!

This is slightly off topic - but I remember reading that Feb 15 is the deadline for programs to submit their ROL. Anyone know if this is true?

EDIT: I looked on the NRMP site and it looks like I'm wrong. Programs and applicants both have until Feb 24...

This is slightly off topic - but I remember reading that Feb 15 is the deadline for programs to submit their ROL. Anyone know if this is true?

EDIT: I looked on the NRMP site and it looks like I'm wrong. Programs and applicants both have until Feb 24...

It's interesting because on Urology match, urology programs have a later deadline than the applicants have to submit rank list... by like 4 days. But that is on Urology.

On NRMP, you are correct. Feb 24 is the unified day for both programs and applicant to submit their choices.