Did you tell your new LOR writer that you're a re-applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DameJulie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you take new classes/new clinical opportunities/new research with someone whom you asked for a LOR, did you tell them you're a re-applicant?

Not sure how to bring this up in our conversation, and I don't know how much telling them that I am a re-applicant will help in their LOR. Would it bring negative bias to them that I have been rejected before?

Also, how did you approach your old LOR writers to update the letter? How far in advance should I ask them?

Members don't see this ad.

I was straight up about it. I had professors who knew I was reapplying and was more than happy to rewrite letters. For new LORs, I was working with doctors that knew I was applying and before I knew for sure I was not accepted last cycle, I already talked with them about it if I did not get in.

In terms of how to bring up, I would say just straight up ask. I don't think it was a detriment, but they also knew how I worked and were willing to help me get in this round with their letter if I did not get in.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thanks for sharing your story! Last quarter I told one of my new LOR writers that I was not accepted, and the writer was very supportive of me. That's a good sign!

Reactions: 1 user
I also told all my letter writers that I ended up having to re-apply. I spent my senior year working closely with 5 of them (the 6th retired), so all of them were willing to update my letters (the 6th actually offered to write a new letter, but I didn't push for it since he was enjoying his retirement so much). :)