Did your gut say no to a school after interviewing? Did you listen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m super early with this since I hold 0 acceptances, and if I do get in perhaps I’ll only get in at one place. However, after my interview today, my gut says no to this school. The vibe is just off... maybe because it’s my alma mater so it feels too familiar and unexciting? Two of my interviewers tried to dissuade me from the MSTP and to pursue an MD or a PhD instead, so maybe that added to it. I also feel like I performed mediocrely so perhaps this won’t be admitted anyway lol.

obviously this question isn’t useful until 1) I get in at this school, and 2) I get in somewhere else too. But I just wanted to know how much you trusted your gut and how much you let logic/facts take over.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get accepted, you could try a second look "visit" (I imagine it'll be virtual these days). That'll give you an opportunity to see if things still feel fishy.

For what it's worth, it's off-putting that faculty interviewers were urging you to avoid an MSTP position.

I was very put off by my interview at the school I currently attend. I think part of it may have just been that I was tired and the weather was bad and I was sick of going to interviews, but also I just got kind of bad vibes and it was pretty disorganized. I ended up going back for second look and fell in love with the school, so I would definitely recommend using second look day to make your decision. I felt that the more casual second look with the opportunity to talk to more faculty and meet more of the other current/prospective students gave me a much more realistic and totally different impression of the schools I was considering and they really changed my mind.