Did your letter writers ask for your MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did 1 or more of your letter writers ask for your MCAT score?

• Yes

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 81.1%

• Total voters

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common for a professor to ask for your MCAT score when you ask him or her to write a rec?

Have you voluntarily "offered" them your score?
I don't mind disclosing my score but I'm not sure if it could help or hurt?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it common for a professor to ask for your MCAT score when you ask him or her to write a rec?

I highly doubt its common for them to ask for your score, because most people don't even have a MCAT score yet when asking their professors for LOR during undergrad. That being said if you scored well it doesn't hurt to reveal your score because it will look favorably upon yourself, but if you have a poor score I wouldn't mention it.

Your professor is going to be much more willing to help you out and take the time to write you a letter if you scored high, since they know you will have a greater potential of being accepted, as opposed to writing a letter for someone that scored way below 500.

I think some professors who are familiar with the process might ask. No different than asking for a transcript which is more common I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
None of my letter writers asked for my MCAT score. If I had had my score, I would have given it to them.

It is not common for professors to ask for an MCAT score.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users

Told all of them because my score is good af and my gpa is not lol

One of the doctors I asked for an lor asked. I shared, he high fived me!

None of my professors asked.

Along the lines of what MareNos said--- I would encourage sharing the score if one's entirely sure it's competitive for the selected schools; and if your intuition dictates that your prof won't interpret it as you being boastful/pretentious. I believe people in general will bandwagon on the best "players", or just be more motivated to help those with potential.

It's not really needed. If they are just saying things like "@starspells got a 5XX on the MCAT", then you want to look for a better letter writer.

My professors never asked but my premed committee needs one before they can formulate a letter for you.