Did your reach schools reject you post or pre secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a lower GPA, I am applying to lots of schools. Many matches, but also many reach schools.. just in case!

But it would be tiresome doing MANY secondaries and many interviews (30+). In your experience, do your reach schools normally still accept your secondary before rejecting you? Do they interview you and then reject you?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a secondary from every school I applied to, even the ones I stood no chance at. I think most schools like getting those application fees.....

I have heard of some schools that will pre-screen before sending out secondaries

That stinks. Dammit. I am thinking of applying to around 30-35 schools, and having to do that many secondaries will suck, but its what the number game entails.

BTW, I am from Penn and am volunteering at HUP too. Did you get a recommendation from them? Did you volunteer in the ER with Mel and all that? I am hoping that this recommendation will be my strongest one.

Members don't see this ad :)
str8flexed said:
That stinks. Dammit. I am thinking of applying to around 30-35 schools, and having to do that many secondaries will suck, but its what the number game entails.

BTW, I am from Penn and am volunteering at HUP too. Did you get a recommendation from them? Did you volunteer in the ER with Mel and all that? I am hoping that this recommendation will be my strongest one.

A lot of secondaries are very easy to complete. If you apply to 30 schools, probably ten of them will have secondaries you can do in an hour or less.

Oh okay, thanks. That's good to know. I'm just afraid of having to do dozens and dozens of gut-wrenching essays...

str8flexed said:
Oh okay, thanks. That's good to know. I'm just afraid of having to do dozens and dozens of gut-wrenching essays...

It varies widely. I had one that I finished in 30 minutes; another with a 2000 word essay.

In the stickied post at the top of the page, there is a link to a bunch of secondaries from last year's application cycle. This will give you a good idea what to expect from the schools you're applying to.

thanks! p.s. do they reuse the secondary essays, or change them? lol

It's true, several of mine were just "re-fill out your science classes and send us a check". While the filling out classes AGAIN part wasn't terrible, it was the money I kept sending that was most frustrating. My advice is to be smart about where you apply. If your GPA is indeed low, and you receive an secondary from Harvard, for example, really think hard whether it's worth the $85 to have them immediately throw your newly arrived application into the reject pile.

str8flexed said:
thanks! p.s. do they reuse the secondary essays, or change them? lol

i reused a lot of the essays i wrote bc the topic questions were very similar. some schools just send u a page for u to fill out w all ur biographical info, and thats their secondary.