Didn't Get in Last Year Because Aimed Too High

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HomoSapiens

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I made the grave mistake of not applying to my state school. I know, dumb. I recognize the stupidity of that, but at the time I was too caught up in "prestige" and not enough on actually getting in, in the first place.

Nevertheless, here's the question: will it look "bad" that I applied to all these other schools last cycle, didn't get in (though received three interviews), and now am reapplying to the state school?

I know I'll have to check the "reapplicant" box on AMCAS, and write every school I applied to.

Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The state school will not know where else you applied
At no time does any school ever know about any other school you applied to
Thanks for the response! But when I click the "Have you applied to other medical schools in the past" box in AMCAS, won't I have to list those schools? And therefore wouldn't the state school see that list?

No, only the schools that you previously applied to will know that you are applying to them again.

NO SCHOOL WILL EVER KNOW ABOUT ANY OTHER SCHOOL YOU EVER APPLIED TO
ONLY A SCHOOL YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED TO WILL KNOW THAT YOU ARE APPLYING THERE AGAIN
Some secondaries do ask about the outcome of previous cycles (even if they didn't apply to that school).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, only the schools that you previously applied to will know that you are applying to them again.

ONLY A SCHOOL YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED TO WILL KNOW THAT YOU ARE APPLYING THERE AGAIN
@gonnif okay so even if I do click that they won't see it

Some secondaries do ask about the outcome of previous cycles (even if they didn't apply to that school).
Yeah this school doesn't even have additional questions on their secondary

Are schools allowed to ask where applicants have applied to during an interview? Or if they ask in a secondary, is it usually optional?

Are schools allowed to ask where applicants have applied to during an interview?
It is considered quite tacky to ask this in an interview (in my circles), though it's only against rules for the residency Match. I'm told that in TX, schools have access to the application list.

It is not against any rule to ask in a secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
It is considered quite tacky to ask this in an interview (in my circles), though it's only against rules for the residency Match. I'm told that in TX, schools have access to the application list.

It is not against any rule to ask in a secondary.

Pretty sure ECU did at some point in recent years? I vaguely remember them asking for all the schools you applied to a couple of years ago.

I would hate such a question as an applicant.