Didn't know until senior year, not many ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twotrees23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All through my undergraduate studies, I've been only a student. I haven't really had a job, or done volunteer work, I mainly only studied. My GPA is a 3.75 and I am working on an honors thesis to graduate Summa cum Laude next spring. I'm majoring in biology and have a minor in chemistry, but I never knew what I wanted to do with it until recently. I though I wanted to teach biology for a long time, then I thought about veterinary school, then graduate school, then medical school, and now I'm considering an MD/PhD. I hardly have any lab experience so I'm volunteering in two labs this summer, one of which I'm doing my honors thesis with. I haven't studied either the GRE or MCAT yet, but I plan to take a year off after I graduate and boost my lab experience and study my buns off for either or both tests.
So my question is, will only one year off be enough for me to gain enough experience? Or should I plan on taking a few more years off to maybe do my own research and/or shadow physicians, scientist, and physician/scientists??

Members don't see this ad.