Didn't match today? Don't give up!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementals

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm an ophtho-hopeful who failed to match last year and matched this year. I thought I'd write this post to try to encourage some of you who may be down in the dumps today and to try to offer some advice. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

I'm going to start by talking about the route I took, and then I'll try to go over general options. My background: I'm an MD/PhD, went to a mid-tier med school, steps 251/259, middle third of class (no AOA), 3 first author publications at application time last year. Got 20+ interviews, went on 16 (17 if you count Arizona as two), and was sure I was going to match. 1/13/2015 was quite possibly one of the worst days of my life. I know this is super-emo and dramatic to say, but you know how people remember where they were when Kennedy was shot and when 9/11 happened? I remember where I was when I opened up the email and saw "No Match" and it still haunts me! This was the thread I started last year while I was reeling from the news: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/didnt-match-im-horrified.1116127/ -- and I'm sure many of you, unfortunately, know exactly what that feels like :(

This is how I spent my year: For about 6 hrs I just wandered around in shock. Then I got started asking for advice wherever I could find it. By the end of the day I'd talked to my dept chair, several mentors, and my med school dean, all of whom helped me lay out my options. By the end of the week I'd touched base with all the program directors who'd interviewed me to try to figure out what went wrong and how I could go forward. I chose to do a research year; it made sense for me because of my background, and because I felt it was a good way to beef up my CV over my gap year. I spent a few weeks applying to and interviewing at all the pre-residency fellowships I could find and ended up with offers from all of them. I ultimately chose to go to a less "established" one that was more of a real postdoc -- largely because of my PhD background. Since my last rotation ended in April, I moved immediately afterward and got started. By the time apps went in I had 3 additional publications under review and 3-4 more in the works. I applied extremely broadly, landed something like 25 interviews, and again went on 16 (I physically couldn't handle more than that). I also applied to neurology as a backup, but only 10 programs (got 6 interviews, went on 3 of them -- scheduled the other three for post-match and will be cancelling them); really, all the neuro interviews did for me was make me realize I would rather be an ophthalmologist in Timbuktu than a neurologist anywhere else. Finally, I applied to something like 26 prelim programs -- a good spread of IM prelim and TY. I'm still doing those interviews...and honestly it's an uphill battle because so many prelim PDs are skeptical that I'll be able to do internal medicine after so much time "away".

--

Anyway, that's just a rundown of what I did, individually. As for advice -- and please keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion, and based on my experiences; i.e. YMMV. But there are a few things I want to touch on:

First off: don't give up, and don't do nothing. The worst thing you can do now is wallow in despair and get nothing done. If you want to try again, you'll need to get the wheels spinning immediately. So the first thing you need to do is seriously assess whether or not you want to try again. In doing so, you should consider -- with brutal honesty -- your strength as an applicant. I hate to say this, but if you have a 205 on boards, no honors, and no research, being a reapplicant would probably be the final nail in the coffin. But most people on SDN, and really most people considering ophtho, have the credentials for it -- or at least enough to be salvaged. In that case, start thinking about what you can do to strengthen your application.

As an example -- this is why I think I didn't match last time: I got way too overconfident (due to getting a ton of interviews from great schools), and I'm a pretty bad interviewee. I didn't convey interest at schools that were supposedly "safeties", I blew off my home school's interview, and I talked way too openly about where I wanted to go. I also didn't ask for help from my mentors -- overall I just kinda thought I had it in the bag, and ... I blew it. On top of that, I also talked too much and too fast, and paired with my overconfidence, I probably came off as aggressive. Other factors: med school didn't have a strong ophtho program, I didn't really have a lot of mentors vouching personally for me, no AOA, no actual ophtho research. So I tried to fix all that by doing research, by forging strong relationships, and by really working on my interview skills. I still suck in interviews, but at least I don't talk a million miles an hour anymore :)

Try to turn the microscope on yourself and be brutal. Pick out every flaw and see if you can fix it. If you can't, forget it. If you can, fix it! It also helped me a lot to ask PDs for advice. Some of them will give you canned answers about tough odds; some will be honest with you, and those are the ones that will help you.

--

So assuming you do want to go on and try again, what can you do to make sure you're in the 50% that makes it? There are a few options, which I'll try to go over in some detail:

1) Go on into internship.
This is sort of the "default" path. You continue on with your prelim interviews and hopefully match somewhere good. Be aware that TY programs may ask you where you matched, and will probably rank you lower when they learn you haven't. But that's okay, because imho if you do an internship, you need to do one that'll allow you to forge connections with ophthalmologists and also -- if worst comes to worst -- train you adequately to go on into internal medicine (because that will be your backup plan).

Pros of doing an internship: you can apply for PGY-2 openings if they pop up (and a couple seem to every year); you probably have a backup in IM if you don't match ophtho a second time, and you won't have wasted any time. Cons of doing an internship: you'll be worked hard, you won't have a lot of time to interview or prepare, and you may not be able to add much to your CV. You may or may not be able to build crucial relationships with people that can help you.

2) Do an "established" pre-residency fellowship.
There's a handful out there, mostly pathology-related. I applied to one at Bascom Palmer (1-2 spots, $30k) and two at Utah (3 spots, $30k, and 1 spot, $20k). I believe there was also one at Iowa (possibly paid?). Honestly, if you're an MD with little research experience, these are amazing and I would highly recommend any or all of them if you can get a spot. Your mentors will be well-known and will go out of their way to help you, as their reputation (and their access to high-quality fellows like yourself) depends on their ability to match you.

Pros of a pre-residency fellowship: a mentor that will really go to bat for you, ability to add meaningfully to your CV, ability to pick up some marketable skills. Cons: it's pretty competitive to get in. The Bascom one interviewed 20+ people for one spot last year. Additionally, don't expect to match to the program you're doing your fellowship at, so you won't have that 'safety net'. Finally, the publications you'll have from this are more likely to be case series and the like.

3) Do a research year.
This will really depend on how proactive you are. I think this route is high risk, but potentially very high reward. I'm going to toot my own horn a bit and say that despite getting accepted to the Bascom fellowship and both Utah fellowships, I chose to do a research year instead. Primarily, I did that because I already had a PhD and was seeking more of a "postdoc" experience than a pathology fellowship, and wanted to continue research similar to what I did as a grad student. I just thought I, personally, would get more out of it -- and I got very lucky in that I found a great, super-productive lab with an awesome mentor, and also had the opportunity to work closely with a bunch of clinical attendings (and get paid to boot). If you have similar leanings, this might be the path for you. But I do have to stress that your mileage may seriously vary. If you do go this route, try to look for some of the following:

- Mentor works with clinical attendings (or is one)
- Mentor works with medical students, preferably ones who matched into ophtho
- Mentor is well known in ophtho
- Lab is productive. No publications are ever guaranteed, but if you get in a lab that pumps high-quality papers out, you'll have a much better chance at publishing quickly
- Lab gives you time to work with clinical attendings, preferably in a shadowing/sub-interning fashion

Pros of a research year: you might get serious research done and publish high-impact paper(s). You might build meaningfully toward an academic career. Depending on mentor and collaborators, you might make some great connections. Cons: you might not get much done; your mentor might not be well known or might not know how to help you; you might not get much out of the year.

In all honesty, I'd probably recommend doing an established fellowship if you can, a research year if you can't, and an internship as a last resort. If you have a strong research background and you have a good idea of what you might want to do research on, consider doing a research year > fellowship >>> internship. But I really do feel that internships will not move you forward very much, and will also leave you strapped for time and thoroughly exhausted during interview season.

OK -- so that was a huge post, and a bit of a braindump, but I hope that helps a little. Above all, keep your chin up... it's hell to not match, but it's not the end of the world. In retrospect, I honestly think this past year has made me a better doctor, a better researcher, and a better person to boot. What doesn't kill you really does make you stronger -- and more humble, grateful, and compassionate :)

Best of luck to you all. Feel free to reply or PM me if you have specific questions or want to discuss more. If anyone else reapplied successfully, please chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Elementals, I am so glad to hear you matched this year. I applied last year and was fortunate enough to match, but I remember your thread about not matching and I felt absolutely horrible for you. I was shocked, to be honest. But I am glad to learn you made it this year. Congratulations!

Reactions: 4 users
I am SO happy for you! I think we actually met at a TY program interview right after ophtho match day last year. What a tough time. Congrats on the well-deserved match!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aw, thanks guys! Bronze -- haha, oh god, those were the worst worst worst interviews of my life. Sheer misery!!

Excellent, thoughtful post! I applied as a prelim medicine intern this year. I am not a reapplicant, but im happy to answer any ?s about applying to Ophtho during Intern year; feel free to PM me.

I also did not match last year and matched this year. The advice that elementals gave is spot on. Finding mentors that will vouch for you is absolutely key and pre-residency fellowships are most likely the best bet unless you can find a GREAT research year like elementals did. I know people that tried TY/prelim but it is very tough for many reasons: not improving application, not meeting new mentors, not having enough free time to go on interviews when applying again, and at least 100-200 people apply to those open PGY2 positions. I ended up doing a pre-residency fellowship, steps 230s/240s, 2 pubs (chart review and case report) submitted before applications were due, and ended up with 15 interview invites that I couldn't all fit in. I came from a school with a small ophtho program, didn't have the best letters last year, and didn't have any ophtho research experience. After evaluating the deficiencies in my application and speaking with mentors, school advisers, and others who have gone through it, I decided a pre-residency fellowship would give me the best shot. Thankfully, the path I took worked out for me, but everyone's situation is unique and there is no clear path to success as you can see from the posts above. We all took different paths and it worked out.

I know it's a tough time. I was really sad/angry/embarrassed for a few weeks, didn't want to talk to anybody, didn't want to eat, didn't feel motivated at all. But the first few days are really important and you have to fight through the pain and get working again. The pre-residency fellowships are competitive. I didn't even get invited to interview at all of them. And the great research years like the one elementals did require some searching and networking. The road ahead is difficult, but many people have succeeded. I was helped by many people last year during this time, so I will also open myself up to PMs and questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Found out yesterday that I didn't match into ophtho. I'd say I'm a below average applicant. Step 1 is 239 and Step 2 is 232. Not AOA (but GHHS). No publications, 4 research projects, 2 ophtho-related. Did a research year at Stanford. Got a good letter from my research mentor at Stanford, 2 okay letters from my home institution.

My plan right now is to do prelim year, then reapply. Working on getting one research project submitted for publication. Plan on doing more research during prelim year as well as get a better medicine letter from the PD at my prelim year.

After reading your post, it seems like the fellowships might be a better option. I'm torn right now. Not sure which to decide.

Found out yesterday that I didn't match into ophtho. I'd say I'm a below average applicant. Step 1 is 239 and Step 2 is 232. Not AOA (but GHHS). No publications, 4 research projects, 2 ophtho-related. Did a research year at Stanford. Got a good letter from my research mentor at Stanford, 2 okay letters from my home institution.

My plan right now is to do prelim year, then reapply. Working on getting one research project submitted for publication. Plan on doing more research during prelim year as well as get a better medicine letter from the PD at my prelim year.

After reading your post, it seems like the fellowships might be a better option. I'm torn right now. Not sure which to decide.

Hey feel free to PM me if you wanna discuss. I too didn't match last year and matched this year. Prelim vs. Research fellowship is a common dilemma.

It's not an easy decision. In this thread alone @elementals matched doing a research year, @eeyyee matched doing a pre-residency fellowship, and @ojoseco matched during intern year, so there is definitely no one answer. Luckily, you don't have to make that decision today. You can apply for the pre-residency fellowships alongside planning for the prelim match and wait for the dust to settle in a few weeks.

Don't despair, I don't think you are "below average" per se. Certainly there are people on here who didn't do a research year at Stanford, but did match, so maybe it's something else. I think it's important to reiterate some of the things that elementals said and also use this as an opportunity to share a few things I've learned over the years when I've failed at something. I think future applicants can learn from these threads and hopefully, this can help you when you reapply.

First, try and figure out why you didn't match. Don't presume to know. There are many reasons why people don't match. As someone involved in the interview process this year it's clear to me that people often lack insight into their application, interview skills, and deficiencies.

If you had few interviews it's likely that you have a red flag on your application or you put together a so-so application. I have seen this several times. The SF match CAS is not intuitive and many people don't have someone look it over before submitting. It's crappy to find out that you didn't fill out an application as well as you could have, so I urge people to get advice on this. Also, have people look over the personal statement, because they rarely help you, but they can REALLY hurt you. Another possibility is occasionally someone writes a not so great letter and doesn't tell you.

If you had many interviews like elementals, but then didn't match, then it is likely your interview style. People can come off aggressive, or too passive or just strange. Like elementals said, she still wasn't a great interviewer, but she was better. You don't need to be an amazing interviewer with her stats, but you need to be passable and normal. Likable enough and be able to carry a conversation.
Sometimes where people run into trouble with the interview is they don't know their application. They literally cannot discuss things they wrote in the darn thing. That's bad. Also, if you're lacking in some ways or you have red flags on your applications, you need to be able to discuss them. Honestly, I hate to sound like a jerk, but if you go into an interview without preparing or having talking points that's just ridiculous. Yes many of us can talk circles around others off the cuff, but it's so much easier and better to not screw yourself, if you have some talking points you want to get across if asked certain questions. Anyways, maybe I'm just a bumbling idiot when I open my mouth, but I've found this helpful.

I wish you the best of luck and urge you to seek out meetings and conversations with those who know you or have met with you over this interview season. Like elementals said, though it's painful, turn the microscope on yourself and look at yourself with a hard eye. Insight is the most important thing at this point, so that you can set yourself up for success.

Maybe we can start a list of Pre-residency fellowships and known research opportunities. I'll get started:

Research fellowships
1) University of Utah - Mamalis/Warner Lab - Pathology and Research Fellowship
-3 fellows, paid
2) Bascom Palmer - Pathology Fellowship
-1 fellow, paid
3) Ohio State Ophthalmology
-1 fellow, paid
4) Tufts/New England Eye - OCT fellowship
-1 fellow, paid
5) CPMC research fellowship
-1 fellow, paid (http://www.cpmc.org/services/eye/education/fellowships/default.html)
6) University of Michigan Pre-residency Research

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe we can start a list of Pre-residency fellowships and known research opportunities. I'll get started:

Research fellowships
-3 fellows, paid
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid (http://www.cpmc.org/services/eye/education/fellowships/default.html)

7) University of Wisconsin-pathology fellowship, not sure if paid

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Research fellowships
-3 fellows, paid
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid

7) Bascom Palmer - Cornea clinical research
- with Carol Karp
- 1 fellow, not sure if paid

Research fellowships
-3 fellows, paid
-http://medicine.utah.edu/ophthalmology/education/residency/ophthalmic-pathology-pre-residency-fellowships.php
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid
-1 fellow, paid
7) Bascom Palmer - Cornea clinical research
- with Carol Karp
- 1 fellow, not sure if paid
8) University of Wisconsin-pathology fellowship, not sure if paid
9) NIH MSRP
-paid
-https://www.cc.nih.gov/training/mrsp/