Didn't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nel1955

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't match into Derm this cycle. Do I contact programs I applied to and let them know I'm still interested. Do I contact prelim programs and explain that I didn't match. Any advise would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't match into Derm this cycle. Do I contact programs I applied to and let them know I'm still interested. Do I contact prelim programs and explain that I didn't match. Any advise would be appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have your advisers / mentors / flagship physicians made any phone calls on your behalf during SOAP etc?

One of the fourth year at my school, who I'm good friends with, didn't match into plastics and literally when the email went out, all the advisers / mentors came together into a conference room and brainstorm / made LOTS of calls.

I wish you luck!

I'm sorry to hear that. Have your advisers / mentors / flagship physicians made any phone calls on your behalf during SOAP etc?

One of the fourth year at my school, who I'm good friends with, didn't match into plastics and literally when the email went out, all the advisers / mentors came together into a conference room and brainstorm / made LOTS of calls.

I wish you luck!
What you're describing is a SOAP violation. You can't initiate contact with SOAP participating programs during the SOAP, and no one can make calls for you. After the SOAP is complete, then people can start making calls.

OP, I feel for you. You need to sit down with an advisor, figure out what went wrong, and come up with a game plan. That plan will probably involve research for a year, then reapplying with a game-plan in place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should talk to your dean ASAP. In truth, you should have talked to him/her two weeks ago.

Reactions: 2 users
What you're describing is a SOAP violation. You can't initiate contact with SOAP participating programs during the SOAP, and no one can make calls for you. After the SOAP is complete, then people can start making calls.

OP, I feel for you. You need to sit down with an advisor, figure out what went wrong, and come up with a game plan. That plan will probably involve research for a year, then reapplying with a game-plan in place.

I find it impossible to believe people don’t routinely make those calls though

Wait why didn't you apply for transitional/intern years at the same time as your derm categorical positions?

I find it impossible to believe people don’t routinely make those calls though
An institutional match violation is humiliating.
Any program that is contacted by the applicant (or their supporters) owns that institution. All it takes is an email to NRMP.

Reactions: 3 users
An institutional match violation is humiliating.
Any program that is contacted by the applicant (or their supporters) owns that institution. All it takes is an email to NRMP.

Could you elaborate or link me to the specific rules? I hadn't heard of that before.

So making any contact before SOAP is perfectly fine, but once SOAP starts no one can contact programs?

Could you elaborate or link me to the specific rules? I hadn't heard of that before.

So making any contact before SOAP is perfectly fine, but once SOAP starts no one can contact programs?

From the NRMP SOAP FAQs:
"You must use ERAS to apply to programs, and you and other individuals or entities are prohibited from initiating contact with programs on your behalf prior to the directors of unfilled programs initiating contact."

I don't know how much it happens behind closed doors in reality, but it's definitely a big no no.

From the NRMP SOAP FAQs:
"You must use ERAS to apply to programs, and you and other individuals or entities are prohibited from initiating contact with programs on your behalf prior to the directors of unfilled programs initiating contact."

I don't know how much it happens behind closed doors in reality, but it's definitely a big no no.

Don't see any faculty willing to risk this for a student. If it happens....probably well connected M4.

You mind if I ask what your your stats were? What went wrong?

You mind if I ask what your your stats were? What went wrong?

It doesn't have to be that something went wrong. It is an extremely competitive specialty. There are only so many seats. Good applicants can find themselves at the end of the musical chairs game without a seat of their own.

Two points to emphasize:

The NRMP rules apply to before SOAP and during SOAP. Once the Match is over, it's a free for all (in terms of communication) to get into the unfilled spots.

If a program contacts an applicant during SOAP, such as to phone interview, then it is permissible for people to call that program on the applicant's behalf.

It doesn't have to be that something went wrong. It is an extremely competitive specialty. There are only so many seats. Good applicants can find themselves at the end of the musical chairs game without a seat of their own.

I guess. But I feel like there must be a reason. For example, if someone has a 265, AOA, pubs, and great letters, I find it highly unlikely that they would go unmatched. And if they did, we might attribute that to poor interviewing or poor application strategy. Sure, a great candidate can simply slip through the cracks, but I feel like that's pretty rare. More likely, they were simply a "good" candidate , but not "excellent." The bar just keeps creeping higher and higher in derm. We've basically reached the point where a 250 board score might be considered a weak point in one's application.

I guess. But I feel like there must be a reason. For example, if someone has a 265, AOA, pubs, and great letters, I find it highly unlikely that they would go unmatched. And if they did, we might attribute that to poor interviewing or poor application strategy. Sure, a great candidate can simply slip through the cracks, but I feel like that's pretty rare. More likely, they were simply a "good" candidate , but not "excellent." The bar just keeps creeping higher and higher in derm. We've basically reached the point where a 250 board score might be considered a weak point in one's application.

Seriously, this is insane. It feels like a 250 doesn't mean anything anymore. It's just another box to be checked.

Research years are the next box, and it's insane that even people with good Step 1 and research years can go unmatched. Check out the other thread right now about the Instagram girl applying derm with amazing stats and not matching. It's really making me nervous

Two points to emphasize:

The NRMP rules apply to before SOAP and during SOAP. Once the Match is over, it's a free for all (in terms of communication) to get into the unfilled spots.

If a program contacts an applicant during SOAP, such as to phone interview, then it is permissible for people to call that program on the applicant's behalf.

This. Also, to be perfectly clear, contact is fine during the normal application process, prior to rank order list submission. These rules only apply to SOAP, not the regular Match.