Didn't use pre-health committee (TMDSAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baconlover01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication and I thought the deadline for my pre-health committee to form the packet w/ all the LoRs was further out.

I'm a TX resident so I'm using TMDSAS and will be submitting my LoRs individually through interfolio. I've had many people tell that 3 LoRs are required with at least two science profs (I'm only close w/ 1 science prof). Others have told me only two are required with at least one science prof. I've researched through TMDSAS and haven't really found a clear cut answer on the required number of letters from science or non-science profs. I already have 1 letter finished from an MD while waiting on the other from the science prof. I'm quite anxious considering TMDSAS opens next week...

How many LoR's are required for TMDSAS and how many must be science professors? And would anyone recommend not using interfolio to submit individual letters?

Also, does anyone have experience with not using their pre-health committee for applying? My target school is UT Southwestern and they're familiar with my school's pre-health committee and will notice, so I'm wondering how bad this will be for me.

Any type of feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't use my school's pre-health committee and I'm in...so it didn't hurt me.

I didn't use my school's pre-health committee and I'm in...so it didn't hurt me.
did you have to explain to any school why you didn't use it? I just know some schools require an explanation if you don't use the committee

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't even have a prehealth committee, so there's nothing to worry about. Sometimes prehealth committee can be quite a burden. Best luck with your application~

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't recommend anything less than 3. For example.. "A minimum of three evaluations or a Health Professions Advisory Packet are required. Letters of reference from professors are preferred, however, letters from employment supervisors, physicians, other medical personnel or research mentors are acceptable as well. TMDSAS will authenticate all letters and health professions advisory committee packets." Straight from the Texas A&M University College of Medicine website. Feel free to look up the individual admissions requirements to each Texas medical school but you're doing yourself a disservice by only applying with two LOR.

EDIT: Also on the TMDSAS website.. "A minimum of three evaluations or a Health Professions Advisory Packet are required. Letters of reference from professors are preferred, however, letters from employment supervisors, physicians, other medical personnel or research mentors are acceptable as well. TMDSAS will authenticate all letters and health professions advisory committee packets."

Last edited:
TMDSAS Medical: Application Instructions

Three. Doesn't specify here about science/non-science, but 2 science is probably a good bet.
I wouldn't recommend anything less than 3. For example.. "A minimum of three evaluations or a Health Professions Advisory Packet are required. Letters of reference from professors are preferred, however, letters from employment supervisors, physicians, other medical personnel or research mentors are acceptable as well. TMDSAS will authenticate all letters and health professions advisory committee packets." Straight from the Texas A&M University College of Medicine website. Feel free to look up the individual admissions requirements to each Texas medical school but you're doing yourself a disservice by only applying with two LOR.

I've been thinking it was 3 as well, but then someone told me 2 and I saw this taken straight out of the TMDSAS application handbook

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 6.36.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 6.36.12 PM.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 81
I've been thinking it was 3 as well, but then someone told me 2 and I saw this taken straight out of the TMDSAS application handbook
You're the one thats making the gamble. I pulled the number 3 straight from the admissions requirements posted on a medical school website + off TMDSAS. Plus.. going with the minimum LOR is just a terrible idea in general. Even if the minimum is 2.

You're the one thats making the gamble. I pulled the number 3 straight from the admissions requirements posted on a medical school website + off TMDSAS. Plus.. going with the minimum LOR is just a terrible idea in general. Even if the minimum is 2.
I gotcha. Just trying to get the requirements straight. Thanks for your help

You want 3 letters at least.

It may be problematic for you to lack the letter when your school (and the fact that it has a committee) is well known to the TX MD schools. People do get in without their committee letter, but if you just missed a deadline by a few days I'd go beg for the chance to still get included in committee evals.

As a Texan who applied 3 times...

It used to be 2 letters were required (when I first applied in 2013), but now it's 3 letters required. There is an option to send in an additional letter, making it 4 total, but TMDSAS actually doesn't recommend it. This 2016-2017 app cycle, I only had 1 science professor letter and did ok.

I used the committee at my undergrad the first time but not for the 2nd and 3rd application cycles. I must mention that I am nontrad so I think it was ok for me to not utilize the committee packet. If you're still in school then some adcoms could raise an eyebrow.

Reactions: 3 users

It used to be 2 letters were required (when I first applied in 2013), but now it's 3 letters required. There is an option to send in an additional letter, making it 4 total, but TMDSAS actually doesn't recommend it. This 2016-2017 app cycle, I only had 1 science professor letter and did ok.

I used the committee at my undergrad the first time but not for the 2nd and 3rd application cycles. I must mention that I am nontrad so I think it was ok for me to not utilize the committee packet. If you're still in school then some adcoms could raise an eyebrow.

Yeah, used to be two. That screwed me over and I scrambled to get a LOR fast for the third one the spring before applications. I had ONE science letter and no pre-health committee despite going to the biggest public school in the DFW area and a huge pre-med population. You'll be fine :).

Yeah, I've tried going back to them after the deadline but they won't do anything besides PS edit at this point. I talked to a dude I tutor with who didn't use the committee and got into UT Southwestern so it shouldn't be significantly detrimental. Thanks for the input

Yeah, used to be two. That screwed me over and I scrambled to get a LOR fast for the third one the spring before applications. I had ONE science letter and no pre-health committee despite going to the biggest public school in the DFW area and a huge pre-med population. You'll be fine :).
Today I asked my biochem professor from last semester for my 3rd letter. Sadly I don't even think she remembers me... probably because we only talked once. Do you think it would be better to have a doctor that I know will most likely write a stronger LoR or go with a 2nd science prof for an average LoR?

Yeah, I've tried going back to them after the deadline but they won't do anything besides PS edit at this point. I talked to a dude I tutor with who didn't use the committee and got into UT Southwestern so it shouldn't be significantly detrimental. Thanks for the input

Today I asked my biochem professor from last semester for my 3rd letter. Sadly I don't even think she remembers me... probably because we only talked once. Do you think it would be better to have a doctor that I know will most likely write a stronger LoR or go with a 2nd science prof for an average LoR?
I'd go with the doctor if you're already getting a solid LOR from one professor. You don't need two professors saying you're a good student especially if one doesn't even know you well. (I've seen some terrible LOR from professors who didn't know the student awfully well)

The bad part of not having two science LORs is that it limits you from applying to a ton of school OOS as backup. Not sure about this, but is the "extra lettter" you can send on top of the three required considered the 4th letter? I would get both letter right now and choose later. You never know if one writer will be late or forget about you.

The bad part of not having two science LORs is that it limits you from applying to a ton of school OOS as backup. Not sure about this, but is the "extra lettter" you can send on top of the three required considered the 4th letter? I would get both letter right now and choose later. You never know if one writer will be late or forget about you.

Yeah I can send a maximum of 4 letters. I couldn't ask the prof in person so now I just have to wait for an email response. But I agree having a backup or extra won't do anything but help, assuming none of them trash me lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'd go with the doctor if you're already getting a solid LOR from one professor. You don't need two professors saying you're a good student especially if one doesn't even know you well. (I've seen some terrible LOR from professors who didn't know the student awfully well)

Does the fact that the doctor is a DO and I'm applying to all MD schools have significance?

Does the fact that the doctor is a DO and I'm applying to all MD schools have significance?

Not at all. I had an MD and DO write me LOR because they happened to be the doctors I knew best and I think it worked out just fine. I had a successful interview cycle with more interviews than I deserved and even one interviewer that asked me about my two LOR from the doctors because apparently they spoke fondly of me. Don't fret man, you'll be fine but definitely get that 3rd LOR.

No committee letter - no problem. I received multiple IIs without one and was never questioned about it at any interview. I'm also a non-trad, but my significant other is a traditional applicant and received multiple pre-match acceptances without a committee letter.

Additionally, the advisors at my school were *****s and I would never place my future in their hands. In the end, we are attending our top choice within Texas.

Apply early once you have everything together. Good luck.

Not at all. I had an MD and DO write me LOR because they happened to be the doctors I knew best and I think it worked out just fine. I had a successful interview cycle with more interviews than I deserved and even one interviewer that asked me about my two LOR from the doctors because apparently they spoke fondly of me. Don't fret man, you'll be fine but definitely get that 3rd LOR.
No committee letter - no problem. I received multiple IIs without one and was never questioned about it at any interview. I'm also a non-trad, but my significant other is a traditional applicant and received multiple pre-match acceptances without a committee letter.

Additionally, the advisors at my school were *****s and I would never place my future in their hands. In the end, we are attending our top choice within Texas.

Apply early once you have everything together. Good luck.

Thanks for info guys, definitely much appreciated