Diet Pills and D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkpa2med

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem that all of the most recent commercials who use doctors to testify for their products is always Dr. John Doe, D.O.

I've even seen Dr. Xx Xx, D.O. under underneath Family Practioner.

Is this the new trend ? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me or does it seem that all of the most recent commercials who use doctors to testify for their products is always Dr. John Doe, D.O.

I've even seen Dr. Xx Xx, D.O. under underneath Family Practioner.

Is this the new trend ? :smuggrin:
Must be, I've seen the one with Dr. Jon Marshall from AZCOM, and recently the one with a female DO too. Wonder if it's just a coincidence...?

Hehe. I noticed that too (Dr. John Marshall). Wonder how much he got paid for that one?

Members don't see this ad :)
look at it this way....pretty much every Doctor pushing a product on tv (whether bogus or not) in history has been an MD...b/c well....most doctors are MD's. So now two DO's get into the act and all of a sudden there is more to it then two Doctors pushing a product? Please...

Yeah, I'm sure Dr. Jon took those pills and received that ripped six-pack in no time... he probably lifted through undergrad, got a little lazy with the exercise like A LOT of medical students (I can't imagine that!), and worked off a few pounds after graduating. He's just trying to pay back his loans...

Hello people...this is the direct result of our beloved AOA leadership and their relentless persuit of getting "DO's on TV shows"!!!

I know. I can't wait for "Scrubs" to get their DO. Dr. Cox would have a field day with cranial. BTW, in our intro OMT lecture, our prof. made it a point to tell us that Dr. Benton on "ER" was a DO. DO's can't be surgeons, can they?

I know. I can't wait for "Scrubs" to get their DO. Dr. Cox would have a field day with cranial. BTW, in our intro OMT lecture, our prof. made it a point to tell us that Dr. Benton on "ER" was a DO. DO's can't be surgeons, can they?

Really? I was watching an older episode the other day where Dr. Greene told Carter not to sweat too much the crap Benton threw "because they went to med school together" and he was less than perfect then.

That would make both DR benton and Dr Greene DO's.

Hmmmm, Since Dr Benton had a sick mother and they always made it seemed like he went to med school in Chicago, do ya think he went to good ole' CCOM???:p

Hehe. I noticed that too (Dr. John Marshall). Wonder how much he got paid for that one?
From an earlier post ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4556795&postcount=15 ) :
I'd ***** it up something fierce for that kind of a payday. Hell, I might do a very graphic demonstration of how effective the new ED drug can be.

"I'm Dr. D.K. Murphy, DO and I took Hyperagra about 30 minutes ago. As you can see *drops pants* it really does work.....and I've got up to 4 hours, count them 4 hours to work my magic. As both a practicing physician and someone who has used Hyperagra with the result of inducing temporary inability to walk in my girlfriend, I strongly recommend it."

Really? I was watching an older episode the other day where Dr. Greene told Carter not to sweat too much the crap Benton threw "because they went to med school together" and he was less than perfect then.

That would make both DR benton and Dr Greene DO's.

Hmmmm, Since Dr Benton had a sick mother and they always made it seemed like he went to med school in Chicago, do ya think he went to good ole' CCOM???:p

I know. I saw that same episode about a week after we had that lecture and thought the same thing. Apparently, in the first episode, Dr. Benton was being interviewed and it got brought up that he was a DO. At least that's what we were told. I haven't seen that episode in a long, long time, way before I knew what a DO was :D

From an earlier post ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4556795&postcount=15 ) :
I'd ***** it up something fierce for that kind of a payday. Hell, I might do a very graphic demonstration of how effective the new ED drug can be.

"I'm Dr. D.K. Murphy, DO and I took Hyperagra about 30 minutes ago. As you can see *drops pants* it really does work.....and I've got up to 4 hours, count them 4 hours to work my magic. As both a practicing physician and someone who has used Hyperagra with the result of inducing temporary inability to walk in my girlfriend, I strongly recommend it."

Sounds like Enzyte Bob has some competition, although your pitch sounds like it might be better for Cinemax. Can't blame Dr. Marshall for trying though. DO schools are wicked expensive.

That's hilarious. What gym lets people work out with their shirts off?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually remember Dr. Benton say that he scored in the 95th percentile (or something ridiculously high) on his MCATs... not 100% sure he was a DO. he seemed like too much of a hard-a$$ to be a DO

I actually remember Dr. Benton say that he scored in the 95th percentile (or something ridiculously high) on his MCATs... not 100% sure he was a DO. he seemed like too much of a hard-a$$ to be a DO
I know some DO's who are hardcore pricks. :laugh: It's not an excluding factor. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: LMAO:laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

Personally, I think we get on TV because we all look so damn hot :D

It's true, we are better looking. We should add that to the MD vs. DO debate...

BTW, in our intro OMT lecture, our prof. made it a point to tell us that Dr. Benton on "ER" was a DO. DO's can't be surgeons, can they?

I watched like five seasons of ER on DVD.

This is an interpretive area (whether or not Benton is a DO).

During an interview for a fellowship, Benton lists his extracurricular activities as "being involved with the AOA during med school." This is noted to be during med school and not residency, and not a good resume builder.

The AOA is our beloved American Osteopathic Association.
However, the AMA's honor society (equivalent to our SSP) is called Alpha Omega Alpha or the AOA.

So if you want to interpret AOA to mean the Allopathic honor society it means that he's an MD.

If you want to interpret it as the American Osteopathic Association, then he is a DO.

I wish George Clooney was a DO. He'd win People's "Sexiest DO Alive" award until they saw me, and we'd totally be popular as a profession.

I'm typing this instead of listening to an old woman talk about having the trots.....

Yeah, when Benton mentioned the AOA he had to have been talking about the allopathic honor society.

There's an episode in a later season where someone makes a disparaging comment about U of I, and Benton says something about having gone there for Med School and Undergrad. There's another episode where he actually goes to look at his application to see if they noted he was black, and I believe the application says U of I.

He's definitely an M.D.

I'm not really sure how much skin care product could actually soak through that Santa Claus beard he's got.

Saw another DO advertising diet pill, Dr. Richard something for Cylaris. Woo hoo, more DO exposure on TV

I am pretty sure that Benton was an MD.

BTW I've scrubbed into surgeries with only DO's at the table. There are PGY's for DO's who want to do surgery.

Yeah, when Benton mentioned the AOA he had to have been talking about the allopathic honor society.

There's an episode in a later season where someone makes a disparaging comment about U of I, and Benton says something about having gone there for Med School and Undergrad. There's another episode where he actually goes to look at his application to see if they noted he was black, and I believe the application says U of I.

He's definitely an M.D.

:thumbup:

I will say this about ER, though, the writers were not consistent from season to season. I believe that the length of Dr. Greene's marriage was one of the contradictory issues, and Weaver was definitely into dudes early on.

Your prof may have been confused, there is a writer on the show who is definitely a DO, but I don't think they ever had a DO on the show.

-J