SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Diff. bet "Student Selectivity" and "Acceptance rate"?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Mar 1, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2001
    The 2 variables on the USNews rankings do not correlate.(for example, BU has the lowest acceptance rate but is ranked 69th in student selectivity) I would think that if a school X has the lowest acceptance rate, then it should have the highest student selectivity b/c it has the highest # of applicants to choose from. Well, obviously my reasoning is wrong and I don't understand the differences bet. the 2. Can anyone explain this for me?

Thanks! :D
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life 7+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Student selectivity is a weighted average of GPA, MCAT, and acceptance yield(matriculants/acceptances granted). It is not how many matriculate over how many apply, because if that were the case, schools Finch, NYMC, GW, (10,00 applicants a piece) would all have very high student selectivity rankings.
  4. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life 7+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2002
    One other thing, the three factors are not weighted equally, I think MCAT average is weighted the most, followed by GPA, followed by yield. Not sure though. Hope this helps.
  5. kafka79

kafka79 Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Here's what the website says about how selectivity is calculated:

Student selectivity (.20 in research model, .15 in primary-care model): three components, which describe the class entering in fall 2000: mean composite Medical College Admission Test score (65 percent ), mean undergraduate grade-point average (30 percent), and proportion of applicants accepted (5 percent).