1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Diff. bet "Student Selectivity" and "Acceptance rate"?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Mar 1, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The 2 variables on the USNews rankings do not correlate.(for example, BU has the lowest acceptance rate but is ranked 69th in student selectivity) I would think that if a school X has the lowest acceptance rate, then it should have the highest student selectivity b/c it has the highest # of applicants to choose from. Well, obviously my reasoning is wrong and I don't understand the differences bet. the 2. Can anyone explain this for me?

Thanks! :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life
    7+ Year Member

Student selectivity is a weighted average of GPA, MCAT, and acceptance yield(matriculants/acceptances granted). It is not how many matriculate over how many apply, because if that were the case, schools Finch, NYMC, GW, (10,00 applicants a piece) would all have very high student selectivity rankings.

4. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life
    7+ Year Member

One other thing, the three factors are not weighted equally, I think MCAT average is weighted the most, followed by GPA, followed by yield. Not sure though. Hope this helps.

5. kafka79

kafka79 Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's what the website says about how selectivity is calculated:

Student selectivity (.20 in research model, .15 in primary-care model): three components, which describe the class entering in fall 2000: mean composite Medical College Admission Test score (65 percent ), mean undergraduate grade-point average (30 percent), and proportion of applicants accepted (5 percent).