Feb 9, 2010
DH, MI ;)
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
dumb question but I am confused & don't know how come there are many kinds of GPA. Do pharmacy school calculate one cGPA into mGPA, sGPA, & pre-reqs GPA? If yes, then WHY? because I don't see the difference lol. What if I've taken some law & art classes, are the grades I've earned in those classes counting towards cGPA or pre-reqs GPA or what? Also, do Pharmacy School even care about those classes and the grades earned in them? Thanks.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
dumb question but I am confused & don't know how come there are many kinds of GPA. Do pharmacy school calculate one cGPA into mGPA, sGPA, & pre-reqs GPA? If yes, then WHY? What if I've taken some law & art classes, are the grades I've earned in those classes counting towards cGPA or pre-reqs GPA or what? Also, do Pharmacy School even care about those classes and the grades earned in them? Thanks.
Your cGPA includes everything- all the classes you have ever taken
your mGPA only includes math classes you have taken (this includes the math pre-reqs)
your sGPA includes the science classes you have taken (this includes all of your science pre-reqs)

In pharmCAS, there is also a pre-req GPA which consists of your ochems, gen chems, micro, bios, etcetc.

Schools look at all of all these and most likely put more emphasis on the pre-req GPA (which includes the science and math pre-reqs only, not all the other science and math classes you have taken). Since PharmCAS averages the courses if you have retaken it, it is possible that your cGPA according to pharmCAS will be lower than your actual GPA at your school. I think most importantly, the way pharmCAS breaks things down by year shows any trends in your grades (whether you did better junior, senior, or post-bac or you did better in lower division courses). All of it is taken into account.

Feb 9, 2010
DH, MI ;)
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thank you for your rapidly helpful response.

but what about English and, let's take Psy. for another instance, where do they count these two courses towards since it's one of the pre-pharm courses I have to take? & If they don't even count them towards pre-reqs GPA, why Do I even have to take them??

gilgamesh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status

but what about English and, let's take Psy. for another instance, where do they count these two courses towards since it's one of the pre-pharm courses I have to take? & If they don't even count them towards pre-reqs GPA, why Do I even have to take them??
A pre-requisite course is a pre-requisite course and it is required for admissions into pharmacy school or to complete a degree. I'm not sure if you should think about it any harder than that... it's never a bad idea to go through your semesters as if you were earning a degree even if you are in some type of early assurance program.

The important thing with all those GPAs I would say is just make sure your sGPA, mGPA, and pre-req GPA aren't drastically lower than your cGPA (your GPA with all other courses). The GPAs are really just different ways of measuring your academic aptitude. Just aim for a 3.5+ in all of them?

Last edited:

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist

They go into both your cGPA and the language/english whatever they call it and social science category, respectively in the pre-reqs.