Difference b/w IM Categorical and IM "Primary care" categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I am applying for IM categorical ....but in some programs they were mentioning 'primary care' also as separate categorical prog ...whats the difference between the normal IM categorical and IM 'primary care' categorical ?....what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?....does both of these have same chance of fellowships?

Thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the program but a general rule is that PC tracks will spend less time in the MICU and on specialty consult months and more in PC clinic. Personally, I would rather do 10 months in the unit than 2 extra gen med clinic months but YMMV.

In general it shouldn't make a huge difference WRT getting fellowships as long as you get some exposure to the specialty you're applying to and have a chance to do some research.

gutonc,thanks a lot

Here's question:

I'm interested into going into Peds. I've noticed that some programs list a "categorical" position as well as a "primary care/social pediatrics" position with a discrepancy in the number of residents they take in those tracks per year. Is it possible to apply to both tracks simultaneously; if not, would you apply to the track that takes more residents in order to have a better chance at matching at the institution?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have the same question as medready2005.

I was also wondering, as of right now, I want to do general peds with a focus on inpatient (hospitalist), but I acknowledge that later down the line, I could very well change my mind and may want to do a fellowship. Would anyone recommend that I choose the categorical instead of primary care track just in case?

Thanks for any responses.

I would recommend that you NOT choose the PC track as this will be focused more on outpt rather than hospital based care (of course, you'll still have plenty of inpt rotations). If you're really interested in peds hospitalist work the general track is the right one.