1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Difference between BRS physiology 95 and 98 editions?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by lotanna, Apr 26, 2004.

1. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

Is there any big difference? I'm gettin it to use in M1.
    I can get 95 for next to nothing.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They are both fairly dated, especially when it comes to endocrine and molecular mechanisms.

It may not make much of a difference in your class, but may want to have have most current information (especially if you are interested in research)

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The newest edition published in January of 2003.

5. Xega

Xega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What's the difference between the BRS physiology by Costanzo and the regular Physiology book done by Constanzo published in 2002. The regular physiology book is 450 pages while the BRS is only 337 is the regular physiology one just more in depth?

6. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

I would just be using it for class, and prob get newer edition come boards time.

7. Willamette

Willamette Good with a bo-staff
    7+ Year Member

Yep...The regular text is essentially a "filled out" version of the BRS. I really liked the regular text (used it for class) and the BRS is like built in notes...perfect for shelf or boards study. Some think that the BRS isn't enough to use as a study guide for class, and if you've got to have a 98% it probably isn't. BUT, if you're willing to settle in at about an 85% (like me :D !!) the BRS is money.

Willamette

8. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

would it make sense to get both, i can get them really cheap

9. Willamette

7+ Year Member

I got 'em both, and I'm really glad that I did. The big book is great to learn from, and the BRS is a handy study tool. And cheap is always a good price (unless free is a choice too :laugh: ).

Willamette

10. PluckyDuk8

PluckyDuk8 Pluck of all Plucks
    7+ Year Member

The regular text does have more than the BRS. I like it's readability for studying for class- but it may be that BRS is more convient for board study, I don't know. The BRS has questions to practice with. If I had the option what I would do is get the regular text plus a test question book such as Pre-test.

11. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

free is definitely a plus, i'm so glad for my med/dental schl buddies, they've been hearing from me more recently...wonder why :D

So for Physiology, I'll have BRS, prob actual text, Clinical Physiology Made Ridiculously Simple by Stephen Goldberg, MD, 1999 & Mosby's Ace Physiology w/CDRom Disk, 1996, Key facts of Anatomy and Physiology by Dr Patrick Leonardi

That should be enough right :D

12. Willamette

7+ Year Member

lotanna,

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that you CAN have too many books. Medical School will probably be unlike anything you have done before as far as the amount of info you'll be expected to learn. I found that it was best to have one book as a resource, and one book to get "big picture" stuff from. I found that having multiple books made me feel good, but that I actually only used about two books per subject. Had I made this "discovery" sooner in med school, I would have saved myself a good deal of money (not to mention the frustration of having too many sources). Best of luck :luck: !

Willamette

13. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Book overload!!!! Have you considered that some medical schools give you all the required info in their note packet?

If you are really concerned about physio, check out Boron - excellent book

14. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

I'm not gettin the text, i think i'll be fine with just BRS, cause I have the Anatomy and Physiology study guide by Dr Patrick Leonardi and thats awsome. Between both books, and my 1st aid, I should be ok :idea:

15. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

LOL that was a joke, :D