Difference between DO and MD, is one really better than the other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKaur92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I know that do has more training as opposed to md. As far as residencies, I researched they can be tough to get into

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Here we go with the jokes lol

This should be an interesting thread to lurk... :popcorn:

I'll have to take a long while to think of a good, thoughtful answer to this very original question.

DO > MD > PA/NP (midlevels)

DO's can do everything MD's and midlevels can do + more.
MD's can only do some of what DO's can do but can do everything midlevels can do + more.
Midlevels can only do some of what MD's can do and even less of what DO's can do.

Simple math, really.

I am going to be applying to medicine schools in the near future, but I was unsure of what the difference between a DO and a MD is?

Is there a huge difference in salary, let's say a speciality in general surgery?

How would you know which is the best fit for you? Aside from your grades and MCAT scores.

What is the future outlook for DOs? Are they more likely to have residency opportunities than MDs?

Thanks

Well, as a DO doctor you only deal with bones, so you can't actually do any surgery.

I am going to be applying to medicine schools in the near future, but I was unsure of what the difference between a DO and a MD is?

Is there a huge difference in salary, let's say a speciality in general surgery?

How would you know which is the best fit for you? Aside from your grades and MCAT scores.

What is the future outlook for DOs? Are they more likely to have residency opportunities than MDs?

Thanks

I wish there was a website where I could type in things that I'm wondering about, and then maybe some answers will show up from all the people that have discussed it previously. I think I'll invent it and call it Yanoo or maybe Gooble.:idea:

Warning to NKaur92: No one in this thread is giving you a serious answer. Use the search button at the top of the page and read the other 900 threads where people asked the same question as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO > MD > PA/NP (midlevels)

DO's can do everything MD's and midlevels can do + more.
MD's can only do some of what DO's can do but can do everything midlevels can do + more.
Midlevels can only do some of what MD's can do and even less of what DO's can do.

Simple math, really.

Yeah. MD=DO.

This post is a troll.

DO never greater than MD. Give one case please?

To the OP: this topic has been covered thousands of times so search before you post a new thread. Now you have the reputation as the noob who posted "that same thread"

Yeah. MD=DO.

This post is a troll.

To the OP: this topic has been covered thousands of times so search before you post a new thread. Now you have the reputation as the noob who posted "that same thread"

Don't be jelly brah. You shoulda copped dat DO degree and openned up shop doing some sensual OMM on hot babes :thumbup:

Have fun prescribing meds, Allopath.

Yeah. MD=DO.

This post is a troll.

You REALLY need to learn to discern when someone is making a joke and when they aren't. You're really bad at it for now. Go practice at 4chan and reddit.

Don't be jelly brah. You shoulda copped dat DO degree and openned up shop doing some sensual OMM on hot babes :thumbup:

Have fun prescribing meds, Allopath.

Except all those "babes" will have to ask what D.O. means, and you'll say, it's like an M.D. and then explain how you didn't get into an allo school

;p haha

You REALLY need to learn to discern when someone is making a joke and when they aren't. You're really bad at it for now. Go practice at 4chan and reddit.

Dude it's called sarcasm. Get on my level

A little known fact, DO chicks put out more than MD chicks.

DO is def better.

I just applied to the MD/DO dual degree program at Harvard, I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds.

If I had a dime for every time this thread was made in pre allo, I could buy ethiopia

This is really all you need to know, besides that it really doesn't matter (or I'm stuck in Troll Town):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_MD_and_DO_in_the_United_States
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

Many authors note the most obvious difference between the curricula of D.O. and M.D. schools is osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM), a type of manual therapy taught only at D.O. schools. The National Institute of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine states[39] that overall, studies have shown that spinal manipulation can provide mild-to-moderate relief from low-back pain and appears to be as effective as conventional medical treatments. In 2007 guidelines, the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society include spinal manipulation as one of several treatment options for practitioners to consider using when pain does not improve with self-care.[40][41] Spinal manipulation is generally a safe treatment for low-back pain. Serious complications are very rare.[42] A 2001 survey of DOs found that more than 50% of the respondents used OMT (osteopathic manipulative treatment) on less than 5% of their patients. The survey was the latest indication that DOs have become more like M.D. qualified physicians in all respects: fewer perform OMT, more prescribe drugs, and many perform surgery as a first option.[43] One area which has been implicated, but not been formally studied regarding the decline in OMT usage among DOs in practice, is the role of reimbursement changes.[44] Only in the last several years could a D.O. charge for both an office visit (Evaluation & Management services) and use a procedure (CPT) code when performing OMT; previously, it was bundled.[45]

Disclaimer: I am a MD student, so... yeah

In what I have seen so far, MOST of the attendings and residents you will meet in a hospital setting will be some sort of MD, PhD, or some other unholy amalgamation of the alphabet letters. I have rarely met any DOs in the teaching hospital- but of course, I am a MD student. Just statistically, MDs have been around longer, and there are more MD schools, so MDs will outnumber the DOs into the near future.

Please note that DOs are licensed to Rx and cut just like their MD counterparts. They have their own residency programs, but a DO student is free to take the USMLE 1 (after basic sciences),2 (after clinical rounds),3 (after first year of residency) if they desire a MD residency program (USMLE requires an endorsement from your school, and DO programs are allowed, just like MD programs to endorse their students to take the USMLE).

Also, I go to school in GA, and there is a PCOM branch here. Comparing schedules of the first year curriculum of the MD program that I am attending and the program at PCOM (There are DO students at the clinic that I volunteer at), it does seem like PCOM's DO program eases their students into medicine a little gentler than my MD program.

THAT BEING SAID, having MD behind your name will always looks cooler, like House MD ^.^ But honestly, in real life, POST MED SCHOOL, the letters are really the only difference. You will be doing pretty much the same work.

If I had a dime for every time this thread was made in pre allo, I could buy ethiopia

Won't need that much.

I'm suprised this thread is still going....

Why is this thread alive when the "get laid in college" thread got closed? At least the other was entertaining.

They didn't just close it they deleted it. I thought I was going crazy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile