Difference Between Neurological and Orthopedic Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewmeister2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am curious as to the differences between neurological and orthopedic physical therapy. I have shadowed an orthopedic physical therapist who used manual therapy only, which was very interesting. But, it seemed like when he explained what he was doing on certain patients that he was also using neurological physical therapy (i.e., one patient he was treating had balance issues, so he worked to retrain her proprioceptors). So, I got the impression that there is some overlap between the two specialties.

I know that neurological physical therapists tend to deal more with stroke victims and patients with MS and so on and so forth, but how do the two differ in regards to treatment, especially when it seems like there is some overlap between the two specialties?

I do plan to hopefully visit a neurological physical therapy practice next month to see neurological physical therapy first hand, but am just trying to get some idea of how the two differ for now.

Thanks for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

They are very different.

Neuro: Generally affects brain function, spinal cord function, and nerve function and rehab focuses on what function remains and improving on that.

Stroke rehab: Spasticity management, appropriate bracing, "rewiring the brain" to perform specific functions (such as constraint induced movement therapy), etc.

Spinal cord Injury: rehab based on the the spinal level injured and return to function with what neuro function remains. Spasticity management, bracing, appropriate assistive devices, etc

Traumatic Brain Injuries: Basically the same as above. Depends on the area of the brain that is affected.

Ortho: Generally deals with musculoskeletal function. Proprioception, strength, imbalances, s/p orthopedic surgeries, sprains, strains, abnormal functional movement patterns. Basically deals with return of "normal" function.

Ortho generally tends to a higher functioning population while neuro tends to those with some, if not severe, limitations to daily life functions.

This is definitely not an all inclusive list, however, I just wanted to point out how different they are. That said, it is very possible that someone can have both (eg. Parkinsons + poor gait quality = broken hip).

Hope that helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
i am just wondering which has more job oppertunities?

I too was wondering about job opportunities? Would going into neuro still allow someone to open up their own clinic and if so would it most likely have to be in a big city to be successful?

Ortho would have more job opportunities due to the high amount of private practice facilities. They do treat some neuro but this is not the focus. You will find much less neuro based practices in the community as the best tend to be within hospitals due to the amount of resources required to run such a practice.

Either way, there should be plenty of jobs to choose from.

If you want to open up your own practice, go right ahead. Do your research on the community and look to see if there is a need.