Difference between New MCAT and Old MCAT books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAKIM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the old books from the old MCAT do they have the same things as the new ones? I know I need to buy something for the biochemistry and the Sociology and psychology but for the other stuff are they the same ?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on company but the changes really aren't all that you might hope.

Berkeley Review regardless of what they might want to admit didn't really change their books that much it looks like. Lots of re-formatting of the bio section and some new stuff but all in all not that much different. BRTech himself even admitted the physics book hasn't changed much(although I'm not sure it really has to) and I'm rather skeptical the CARs will when it gets released.

TPR: The hyperlearning books haven't changed much. The Bio/Biochem Review book is mostly a bio review book; not exactly adapted to the new test. Idk about the rest of their stuff but honestly outside of those and the psych/soc book there isn't too much else that's really even worth that much consideration(I'd avoid the TPR FL's)

EK: They did make some changes but it's mostly in their passages and FL's(which are very good); the content stayed largely the same and biochem wasn't touched much.

Kaplan: The only material I'd bother with from here is their biochem review. They really don't simulate or prepare for the style of questions the MCAT tests very well; their prep is pretty much content review by and large.

All in all if you want to buy new stuff stick with
1) FL's from EK and Next Step
2) Any AAMC material
3) The Kaplan Biochem Book
4) Psych/Soc review. Best bet is to use multiple sources; EK+TPR+KA is probably your best bet but the thing is you'll probably still end up seeing words on the real deal you never studied for that's just the nature of the beast for Psych/Soc.
5) I would invest in BR FL's as well.

Depends on company but the changes really aren't all that you might hope.

Berkeley Review regardless of what they might want to admit didn't really change their books that much it looks like. Lots of re-formatting of the bio section and some new stuff but all in all not that much different. BRTech himself even admitted the physics book hasn't changed much(although I'm not sure it really has to) and I'm rather skeptical the CARs will when it gets released.

TPR: The hyperlearning books haven't changed much. The Bio/Biochem Review book is mostly a bio review book; not exactly adapted to the new test. Idk about the rest of their stuff but honestly outside of those and the psych/soc book there isn't too much else that's really even worth that much consideration(I'd avoid the TPR FL's)

EK: They did make some changes but it's mostly in their passages and FL's(which are very good); the content stayed largely the same and biochem wasn't touched much.

Kaplan: The only material I'd bother with from here is their biochem review. They really don't simulate or prepare for the style of questions the MCAT tests very well; their prep is pretty much content review by and large.

All in all if you want to buy new stuff stick with
1) FL's from EK and Next Step
2) Any AAMC material
3) The Kaplan Biochem Book
4) Psych/Soc review. Best bet is to use multiple sources; EK+TPR+KA is probably your best bet but the thing is you'll probably still end up seeing words on the real deal you never studied for that's just the nature of the beast for Psych/Soc.
5) I would invest in BR FL's as well.
I thought EK made two separate books for BS one for bio and one dedicated entirely to biochem?

^No, one book is named molecules, and the second is named systems. There are not enough materials in it to justify buying it for biochem. You're better off spending a few bucks at a half-price on a decent biochem book or even a biochem for dummies' book.

Members don't see this ad :)
^No, one book is named molecules, and the second is named systems. There are not enough materials in it to justify buying it for biochem. You're better off spending a few bucks at a half-price on a decent biochem book or even a biochem for dummies' book.
So it doesn't cover the increased amount of biochem on the new mcat thoroughly enough?

So it doesn't cover the increased amount of biochem on the new mcat thoroughly enough?

I skimmed through that book, the first bio1 book and the chem book. It's not as detailed as TBR for sure. I wouldn't use it for primary content review. I'm just going to use my notes from biochem class instead.

I skimmed through that book, the first bio1 book and the chem book. It's not as detailed as TBR for sure. I wouldn't use it for primary content review. I'm just going to use my notes from biochem class instead.

For what it's worth, only the Biology books are new, as far as home study materials go. The organic chemistry/biochemistry books literally just became available for home study this week and the psychology book is also now available. The new general chemistry books and new physics books are due out in the next three months. The organic book is similar in text for six of the eight chapters, but the two modified chapters are quite different (and heavily laced with biology applications). Some passages have completely changed (maybe 20%), some have been modified with questions removed or edited significantly (maybe 20%), and some have had a question added in (maybe 10%). The book was excellent before, so the changes focused on making the questions more in line with 2015 changes.

There is no final word on the physics, general chemistry, or CARS yet, as they are still undergoing changes. Admittedly, I share your prediction for the CARS book, but have yet to see it so it's speculation. I have seen the preliminary versions of physics and general chemistry and I love the new layout. As for how many passages changed, I'd venture to guess it's a little more than the organic chemistry, but not much more.