Difference between the In-Person Kaplan course & the Online Kaplan course?

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
What is the difference between the In-Person Kaplan course & the Online Kaplan course?

Which one is better? Why?

Which materials do each course provide?

Is there a way to get access to both without spending double the money?

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Both are exactly the same. The only difference is that in one you go to a classroom for the lectures whereas in the online courses, the lectures are online. This is in addition to their online material.

I suggest you do a search on SDN about it, and visit the kaplan's website for more details. For specific questions, call kaplan's customer service, unlike AADSAS they make up the hefty fees by providing decent customer service.

prydA

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
i advise you to stay away from the kaplan course, it is overpriced by about 100x fold no joke

prydA

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
If I am correctly assuming that you are saying this based off of experience, it seemed to work for you :p
i took it and i taught the dat for them lol, i'm not saying its a bad program per se but it is extremely expensive. imo it's better to just spend half that amount of money on materials that are much more effective (destro, crack the pat, topscore, etcetc.) rather than pay a ridiculous amount of money to listen to a drone read off of a very strict teacher's rubric, which doesn't do much more than touch on the most basic of subjects :thumbdown:

Jul 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
i took it and i taught the dat for them lol, i'm not saying its a bad program per se but it is extremely expensive. imo it's better to just spend half that amount of money on materials that are much more effective (destro, crack the pat, topscore, etcetc.) rather than pay a ridiculous amount of money to listen to a drone read off of a very strict teacher's rubric, which doesn't do much more than touch on the most basic of subjects :thumbdown:
How about the online materials? I heard very good things about those... I am planning to get the destroyer, cliffs, princeton review mcat, cdp, topscore, i already have 5 steps to a 5 ap biology... but whats your opinion of the online materials?

Sublimize23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
A lot of people trash the kaplan program on here but I took the class and thought it really helped. I don't need any extra motivation to study, but the class was good because it allows you to review the concepts you probably haven't seen for a year or 2 in person, slowly, in addition to your own studies. Also I met a lot of great people to study with, and help you out during the stressful time, lol

Matt2010

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I took the Kaplan course, it was pretty good. I scored what I wanted on the DAT; however, all I really needed from the course was the online material (tutorials, practice exams, etc.). I also used the Cliff's Bio, Destroyer, Crack, Topscore and Achiever. If I had the choice, I would pay for the online material, not so much the class. If you are a science major, the class is pretty much pointless, unless you haven't had the courses in a while. Hope this helps.

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status
Dental Student
I think a lot of people who are self-motivated will do just fine with all those 3rd-party programs (cliffs, destroyer, crack, etc), and the Kaplan online stuff is a little less intense, but still more practice. Take it with a grain of salt though, I know the practice tests are a bit easier than the real thing (I also taught the DAT at kaplan). The online materials and online lectures are helpful if you want someone to explain a theory to you, and they have lots of problem sets and practice tests to take as well.

If someone has a hard time forcing themselves to sit down for 3 hours and study, the class can offer that structure to your study routine. Also, as someone else mentioned, meeting other local people also studying for the DAT can be great for getting a study group together for during and after the course. I met (and taught) several future classmates of mine, people I've stayed in touch with since the class and look forward to starting school with in a month.

Plus if you do well you can teach it for Kaplan and get paid $18/hr for part-time work. :p

PS:

I hate reading when people say the Kaplan course is worthless, and they didn't learn anything or do well on their DAT. The problem with the mindset of some people is that they can go to a 3 hr class twice a week and do well on the DAT. The in-class section of the Kaplan course should be a small portion of your study routine, used to answer any questions you have, go over how to do specific problems, and refresh your mind. The majority of the work needs to be outside of class. There are homework assignments and readings to be done before every class, and it was the students who did not do these who struggled, then complained about how worthless the class was. Take the classes as a chance to ask the instructor (who did well on the DAT) questions. I loved answering questions to my students about my first failed attempt at getting into dental school, what to avoid and how to not repeat my mistakes. Also answered questions about the application process, the day of the test, and interview questions. Not all the questions need to be about the material, many of the instructors are current dental students, a wealth of knowledge for a pre-dent!

I think while taking the course it is a good idea to supplement with those other programs, no such thing as too much practice. With 6 hours of classes a week, you should be studying at least 20 hrs by yourself. Take it upon yourself that studying for the DAT is a job, not a hobby, something you're expected to do and to do well, and you'll be fine.

-Steve

Last edited: