Differences between 3 and 4 yr EM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awdc

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What are the differences between the three-year and four-year EM residencies? Any other advantages other than getting an extra year of training? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by awdc
Hi all,

What are the differences between the three-year and four-year EM residencies? Any other advantages other than getting an extra year of training? Thanks.

A year.

approximately $150,000.

is that $150,000 more for a year?
wow... thats a good investment... but for some (like me) its the decisive factor for a fellowship

Originally posted by edinOH
approximately $150,000.

An underestimate depending on where you're working. Plus, you have to factor in the extra year of interest on any student loans which are already accruing. It's not as much as in previous years when the interest rate was significantly non-zero, but still something to take into account.

A big difference is being able to get a job in a lot of competitive areas of the country.
Another is being MUCH better trained in emergency medicine. Ask most PD's and they'll say that EM residencies should all still be 4 years, they just don't get the funding for it anymore.

Originally posted by nibblenuts
A big difference is being able to get a job in a lot of competitive areas of the country.
Another is being MUCH better trained in emergency medicine. Ask most PD's and they'll say that EM residencies should all still be 4 years, they just don't get the funding for it anymore.

Quote from Hamilton's discussion:

To date, there is no difference between a three-year and a four-year graduate in performance. To my knowledge, I never had one of my three-year graduates lose a position to a four-year graduate in any setting, academic or otherwise.

As long as one can pass the ABEM... and are board certified... does it make a difference? I know people who have done four years and advocate NOT doing it. I know people who did three years and say the first year out was tough. I know people who did FOUR years and said the first year out was tough.

I don't think as a medical student we can really comprehend if we need four years or three. It is based on what our attendings say, as well as what we want in our careers. I'm happy with my three years.

Q, DO

Originally posted by nibblenuts

I talked to three docs in the ED I work in and was told that a four year residency is beneficial if you want to go into academic medicine. They don't want someone who went through a 3 year residency teaching fourth year residents because they are essentially equal. But as for training there isn't much of a benefit to that fourth year. At least that's what I was told.

I vowed that 3 vs 4 was not going to be a deciding factor for me, and I interviewed at both. In fact, my top choice was a 3yr while my #2 was a 4yr. But, that being said, I will probably do a fellowship, and if I had gone to the 4yr program, I may have decided that fellowship would be excessive. Also, I can now say (3 months in) I'm glad I went with a 3 year... ;)

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I feel bad for turfing you away. Here's the lnk
http://www.saem.org/inform/provscon.htm

Q, DO

Thanks for the link, Q. Those were good essays... and also shed a little bit of light about confidence amongst other specialties' attitudes towards EM physicians.