differences between clinical psychologists and psychiatrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they both go through different schools.

But, what are the differences between clinical psychologists and psychiatrists in term of their functions in the health care system?

What are the things that clinical psychologists can do that psychiatrists cannot do?

Can clinical psychologists actually prescribe drugs?

I am not going to medicine. But, I am seeing many of my friends end up getting clinical psychology pHD in grad instead of getting a MD to become psychiatrists. Are they usually the people who can not cut in med schools? Sorry if offend anyone That's why I wanna to learn the difference and importance of both professions. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

psychologists can not prescribe to my knowledge and usually specialize to work with individuals in particular fields/environments to work to help individuals understand themselves.

Here's a link: http://www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/cmh94-5001/treatment.asp

Psychiatrists

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in mental disorders, is licensed to practice medicine, and has completed a year of internship and three years of specialty training. A board-certified psychiatrist has, in addition, practiced for at least two years and passed the written and oral examinations of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. Psychiatrists can evaluate and diagnose all types of mental disorders, carry out biomedical treatments and psychotherapy, and work with psychological problems associated with medical disorders. Of the mental health professionals, only psychiatrists can prescribe medications. Child psychiatrists specialize in working with children; geriatric psychiatrists concentrate on helping the aged.

Psychologists

Psychologists who conduct psychotherapy and work with individuals, groups, or families to resolve problems generally are called clinical psychologists, counseling psychologists, or school psychologists. They work in many settings – for example, mental health centers, hospitals and clinics, schools, employee assistance programs, and private practice. In most states, a licensed clinical psychologist has completed a doctoral degree from a university program with specialized training and experience requirements and has successfully completed a professional licensure examination.

The field of psychology also includes those who specialize in such areas as testing, community organization, industrial relations, and laboratory research.

An article that talks about the differences: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/longterm/stories/030706dnlivNH_psych.b4d04dd.html

Psychiatrists: They complete a four-year medical program, just as a surgeon or any other doctor, followed by a residency and a psychiatric internship that usually lasts at least four more years.

"Let's say your husband isn't sleeping or is openly talking suicide," says Dr. Tyler. "Well, then, he needs to see someone who has the ability to prescribe medication. That would be a psychiatrist."

Dr. Tyler, who doubles as vice chairman for clinical services at the medical school, agrees that finding the therapist who's right for you can be a big problem and one that gets scant attention in today's medical landscape.

Most psychiatrists are trained not only in psychotherapy and talk therapy but also in prescribing a wide range of psychotropic medications, such as anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic drugs, which help alleviate emotional or mental problems.

Clinical psychologists: They are required to complete a doctoral program in psychology or clinical psychology. A psychologist obtains a bachelor's degree, then begins a doctoral program that lasts about five years. Psychologists offer psychotherapy or talk therapy, but many also have advanced training in research methods and testing, which provide additional insight into brain functioning and-or learning disabilities.

With any therapist, Dr. Newman suggests you start with licensing. "You can't call yourself a psychologist unless you have a license to practice in that state." In Texas, you can verify the license of any psychologist by going to the Web site of the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists.

Beyond that, the APA suggests asking, "How many years have you practiced psychology?" If you suffer from a specific issue (for example, anxiety, depression, eating or sleeping disorders), you should ask what experience the therapist has in dealing with such problems.

Google this and you'll find alot. Actually I think PhD's can prescribe in New Mexico by some bizzare law but that is the only place. There are Nurse Practioners in psychology or something like that who can prescribe as well as PA's who can prescribe.

Psychologists with a postdoctoral Master's degree in clinical psychopharmacology may prescribe psychotropic medications in collaboration with their patients' primary care physicians in New Mexico and Louisiana.

NM: http://www.rld.state.nm.us/b&c/psychology/RxP Rules/Rules.htm

LA: http://www.lsbep.org/rules_ch_4.htm

These are not "bizarre" laws, as stated above. Several other states have legislation pending. Hawaii, Tennessee, Georgia, Illinois, Connecticut, Maine, for example.

Sample MS program in clinical psychopharmacology: http://www.rxpsychology.com/

More info: www.division55.org

Sorry bizzare is what the article states so I just used that. Since at the time of publication that was the only state. Thank you for the clarification.