Differences in Calc Series...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belfagor

Busy Breaking Bonaduce
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the major differences between the following (assuming these are standard nomenclature):

Brief Calc vs. Calc for the Life Sciences vs. Calc I w/Analytical Geometry

Course numbers are 210, 251, and 271 respectively, but I think they might be rather arbitrarily assigned.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

BrettBatchelor said:
210<251<271 in the depthness of topics cover I assume.

Maybe. I think the latter two may be up for grabs in terms of depth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Calc with analytical geometry is the hardest of the three. But I recommend it.

At our institution, they have Calc with analtyical geometry, life science calc, engineering calc, and business calc.

In order of difficulty, from easiest to hardest, it is as follows........

business calc, life sci calc, eng calc, calc with anal. geo.

Do you think Calc for Bio, Mgmt & Soc Sci Majors fulfills the Calculus requirement for med schools? Or does it have to be calc for math majors? I can't decide if I should sit through pre-calc and then regular calc, or just take the easy one and get it over with. I took calc like in HS but no math at all since then..

angietron3000 said:
Do you think Calc for Bio, Mgmt & Soc Sci Majors fulfills the Calculus requirement for med schools? Or does it have to be calc for math majors? I can't decide if I should sit through pre-calc and then regular calc, or just take the easy one and get it over with. I took calc like in HS but no math at all since then..

I'd take calc for math majors or life science or engineering calculus, if your school offers any of those 3 options. I'd stay away from business calculus, because business calculus sort of classes are discouraged by adcoms that I've talked to. I don't think they necessarily accept that type of calculus, in place of one of the other three.

I'd be safe and go with calc for math majors. Calc I and II aren't that hard, really - just labor intensive if the prof assigns lots of homework. Calc for bio sciences is kind of like physics for poets.

ShyRem said:
I'd be safe and go with calc for math majors. Calc I and II aren't that hard, really - just labor intensive if the prof assigns lots of homework. Calc for bio sciences is kind of like physics for poets.

LOL thanks :)
I've been trying to teach myself pre-calc over the summer so I can skip the class but it's really tough when you're writing secondary essays every waking minute!

Just to chime in here, at our school the BS bio majors can take Calc for Bio/Medicine or Calc/Analytical Geom- they are both accepted as real calc classes. I'm taking the Bio one, not because it's easier, but because I think it has more stuff that is actually useful to me (some stats stuff) and because the topics are related to biological systems, which I think will make it more interesting.. I would think either would be fine to take- If med schools wanted us only to take Calc/Analytic Geom then they would stipulate that.