Differences in competitive AOA and ACGME residencies in terms of what they look for in applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodohobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is one more grades/rank heavy than the other? I'm interested in ortho so what's the consensus on ortho AOA residencies and what they prefer in applicants compared to their MD counterparts?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, auditions are huge in AOA Ortho. Like if you don't do an audition, don't expect an interview, regardless of what your board scores are (or so I've heard). I don't think that's really the case with ACGME Ortho, because there are a lot of them and you usually can't audition at a ton of them.

That said, I have no firsthand experience with ortho, so hopefully someone with more knowledge about it can come in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Benchpress - (2 x IQ) should be a positive number for ACGME programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Benchpress - (2 x IQ) should be a positive number for ACGME programs

AOA programs= max bench press
From what I've heard, auditions are huge in AOA Ortho. Like if you don't do an audition, don't expect an interview, regardless of what your board scores are (or so I've heard). I don't think that's really the case with ACGME Ortho, because there are a lot of them and you usually can't audition at a ton of them.

That said, I have no firsthand experience with ortho, so hopefully someone with more knowledge about it can come in.

What's lame is that there are a lot of AOA Ortho programs too, and you can't audition at most of them either... yet they still want you to.

Reactions: 1 user
AOA programs= max bench press

What's lame is that there are a lot of AOA Ortho programs too, and you can't audition at most of them either... yet they still want you to.

What, you're school doesn't give you like 100 electives in 4th-12th year?

I think it's ridiculous too. You'd think if they really wanted to, they could do like a "first look" during the interview for like a day, and that would be enough to know that you fit in.