1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

differences in frequency of open/closed standing waves

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by docmayer, Aug 19, 2011.

1. docmayer

2+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I have a quick question regarding standing waves in open and closed pipes. The questions is asking how the frequency of a pipe open at both ends with a 2nd harmonic would change if it was blocked at one end ( so basically a closed pipe). First I determined the wavelength of the open pipe at second harmonic to be 2L/2. Now, to determine it for the closed pipe, how would you go about this? Closed pipes don't have a second harmonic I thought since the # of harmonics is the # of nodes, but it gets reflected back in the pipe so the # nodes (and harmonics) are 1, 3, 5 etc...

Can someone tell me where my thinking is wrong,

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cham90

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    If it makes you feel better, I'm sure your thinking is correct.

Is this a multiple choice question? I would guess that it would change to either 4L/3 or 4L/5, but I'm not too sure which.

(I got the wavelength=4L/n where n=1,3,5.. from http://www.phy.duke.edu/~lee/P53/waves3.pdf)

4. docmayer

2+ Year Member

The answer is 4L/3. But I don't understand how that is the second harmonic, since n=#of harmonics in a closed pipe, and since n=3 that would mean 3rd harmonic, not second...sigh...ll jus hope something like this doesn't show up tuesday!

5. TheRealAngeleno

Pre-Medical
    For a closed pipe n = odd #'s ,

So n = 1
    n = 3
    n = 5

etc.

Sorry op below poster is correct.

#4 TheRealAngeleno, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  6. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nah above posters wrong.

n= harmonic number

one end closed pipe doesn't have even numbered harmonic

7. plzNOCarribbean

Pre-Medical
    if both ends are open or both ends are closed, you use

wavelength = 2L/n and frequency= nV/2L where n= any integer

but if one end is open, you use the other equation where:

wavelength = 4L/n and frequency= nV/4L where n= 1,3,5...etc.

just remember that if the question says one end is open, we switch the 2 in the equation to a 4, and n can only be an odd number. In this case, since 3 comes after 1, this would correspond to the SECOND harmonic, since that is the next integer for n, and the THIRD harmonic would be n=5

8. TheRealAngeleno

Pre-Medical
    kehlsh said that this was incorrect. I thought this was correct as well but could someone clarify this statement?

9. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

If both ends of a pipe are closed, I believe you have a sealed container that would be great for holding things like paper clips or rubberbands, but it wouldn't be so great as a sound enhancing pipe.

I think you are referring to a pipe open at both ends or a sting that is fixed at both ends.

The problem in this scenario is that the terms harmonic and overtone are getting confused. As the original question is worded, I don't see an answer to the question. A wave with lambda = 2L/2 = L would not be allowed in a closed pipe, as pointed out in several posts. It would be nice to see the exact wording of the question and the four answer choices that correspond.

10. geeyouknit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think the OP is saying that the pipe that was open at both ends, has one end blocked. So it's not a closed pipe...
    For a pipe that's open at one end and closed at one end with a 2nd harmonic, the wavelength = 4/3*L.

The wavelength for open = L
    The wavelength for one side-closed = 3/4*L
    Doesn't that mean that wavelength decreases by 25%? So wouldn't we expect frequency to increase by 25%?

Can the OP or anyone confirm or fix my thinking, please? Although I'm sure the fella is enjoying his/her well earned break after taking the MCAT's today.