Differences in MD?DO medical school training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me on a class by class basis if course work is different at Allopathic and Osteopathic medical schools, excepting the obvious difference in OMM training. I am also interested in peoples thoughts about rotations and residency differences.

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that the basic science years at DO schools are virtually identical to the average MD school, except that some osteopathic principles and practices are sprinkled in the curriculum. The core rotations at DO schools are primarily done at small community based hospitals (as oppossed to large academic hospitals where many MD schools have their core rotations) and emphasize the primary care rotations, like family practice, general internal medicine, general obstetrics, etc. Likewise, the DO residency programs mostly take place at community hospitals and operate in a primary-care laden environment. That's pretty much the gist of the basic differences between the schools. But also keep in mind that each DO and MD school has unique qualities and ought to be compared individually.

Likewise, the first two years are identical.... There is an additional class on Osteopathic philosophies and practice as well as Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine.

Thus, DO are MORE!!! :D