Different background. Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am really interested in dentistry, but I have a little bit different background with the hopt anyone can give me some suggestion.
I am Asian American. I got my bachelor in Taiwan in computer science and I went to USC for master also in computer science. After 3 years work, I really want to study dentistry and I quit my job.
I am taking pre-dental courses now.

My question is many dental schools require at least 90 semester credits which are earned in US.
Could anyone have the similar situation or know any people with ths same situation as me?

I do appreciate if any suggestion is provided. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi grettlin,
In answer to your question, I can give you a few suggestions. I know of a person who was in the same boat as you. Since, you have done masters in computer science in USC, that would equal about, I think 32-33 credit hours. And finishing all the predental requirements will iteself will be another 40-45 credit hours or more depending upon how many prerequisites you have to do since you dont have a biology background. Correct me if I am wrong. Together. the total would be 80-90 credit hours. I am sure that would be enough to fullfill the 90 credit hour requirement. Only question is will the dental schools accept the credit hours from your masters. For that , I suggest you call the individual dental schools you desire to apply and explain your situation. Talk to the director of admissions if possible. Besides, some dental schools like U of Michigan asks only for minimum 60 credit hour to be done in the US. I am sure there are more schools like that out there. Just go their webpage and see what their requirements are. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi futuredentist,
I don't know how to express my appreciation to your reply. I will try
to contact the scholls I am interested.
Thanks for your reply! :)