Different grade criteria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The professor in my Biology class announced that
she will only give 6 people "A" out of 105 students, 25 people "B" and 74 for others. It was like a strike to me. For last year (different professor), 1/3 people got A, 1/3 got B, and 1/3 for others. Is this one of the reasons that people got not so good gpa? Do you think I should drop if it is still possible?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, its worth pointing out. The degree of difficulty of the courses, the work-load, the school, the professor, all influence our GPA. I have realized this because I am taking a course at a community college and getting an A++++++++. It seems that everyone was getting an "A." I remember at a UC that same course, which i didnt take, people were struggling to get a B.

The dental schools are now having to sort out the applicants who have the highest DAT scores and GPA and who will give them the highest scores on the boards. Its all about the numbers and school rep.

NO FAIR :p

Live by the curve, die by the curve. Give me preset performance expectations any old day.

My BIO 101 in college had 500 people in it. The teacher said "look to your left, look to your right, one of you won't make it to Bio 102" he was right, he failed 1/3 of the class. Not just his fault, on non-test days there was about 75 people present. It was a weeding out class. If you wanted one of the passing grades it was easy to achieve, so it's not likely that this is why people have bad GPA's. It is likely that this is why that most of the freshmen class started out as pre-med, but then graduated with a business or communications degree.

One thing that I am actually struggling with is community college. After not getting accepted last year I am killing time at a junior college. I am having the hardest time keeping my grades up. The teachers are so disorganized, and they are worlds worst teachers that they just don't motivate me. Yesterday in my Anatomy class the teacher (who had nothing prepared) showed a video of the band DEVO. That was class! I hate Junior College, and miss the quality instruction and good teaching of a real university