Different letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been giving a lot of thought to which programs I want to apply to next year and have come to the conclusion that I'm best of applying to MD/PhD programs associated with graduate programs strong in my research interests, to MD programs at other schools, and to a few MS programs as a backup to that.

My question is; will I need different letters of rec for each kind of program? It seems logical that I would need letters of a different nature to send to the MS programs than the MD or MD/PhD programs; but what about letters for the MD and MD/PhD programs?

Am I going to need one, two, or three different kinds of letters? Also, is it a bad idea to ask for different letters from the same person?

Thank you for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's always good to just have a wide range of letters; my letter of rec choices aren't as research heavy as some people, but so far it has suited me well.

I have letters from the following:

1. direct PI
2. collaborator, director of a institute
3. hospital volunteering
4. teacher I TA for
5. teacher I took a class with

As long as you're applying to programs that are strong in research - whether they be MD/PhD or MD/MS, I think the letters will be pretty much the same.

Here's what I've used:

1. PI
2. Dean of the College
3. Professor I took courses from and long time faculty mentor
4. Professor I took a course from, big in my research field of interest
5. Professor I took courses from - did kick ass in them

admittedly there's nothing to attest to the clinical portion but so far, that hasn't really mattered.

Members don't see this ad :)
my letters were:

3 were from my research PI's, all different institutions
1 from Non-science professor
1 Letter Packet from Premed Committee, containing nonscience and science faculty

To clarify, I meant a straight MS program as a backup to not getting into any sort of Medical Program.

I guess my concern is getting a letter exhaling my virtues as a future physician or physician scientist and then trying to use it for a pure MS program. Am I correct in thinking this would be a bad move? How can I avoid this without being able to see the contents of the letter? I guess just being clear with the writer about what it's for.

This then leads back to the question of, should I ask for two seperate letters; one for medical programs one for non-medical?

This may be a bit rambling due to a lack of sleep. If so, I apologize...