Different Personal Statement for PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvrsumr

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
This question is for anyone applying to or who is in a specialty that requires a seperate PGY1 year ie. prelim med or transitional year.

Did you send out seperate and different personal statements, LORs to the PGY1 programs you applied for?

If you did -what did you say? I love prelim IM/transitional year thats why I want to do RADs/GAS/PM&R??

Im more confused than usual!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Cuts

Great minds think alike-some are a little faster though.

What did you do with LORs? Did you include any that made mention of your wanting to be a Rad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by nvrsumr
Cuts

Great minds think alike-some are a little faster though.

What did you do with LORs? Did you include any that made mention of your wanting to be a Rad?

lol... so far I have 2 Rads-specific LoRs and 2 generic LoRs. I sent the Rads specific LoRs and the stronger generic LoR to all Rads programs that I applied to (140) and all TYs that I applied to (28), leaving room to add one more Rads-specific LoR as soon as I finish my Rads elective in a few weeks. I also applied to 14 Anesthesia programs, but cannot (now anyway) meet the recommended # of 3 LoRs for them since I could only send them my 2 generic LoRs. Hopefully I'll be able to snag another strong generic LoR during my next elective, and I can use that to round out the 3 LoR requirement for these Gas programs.

What did you end up deciding on the specialty-specific LoR issue?

What happened to Radiology or BURST? I guess those gases are flammable. ;)

Originally posted by Stinky Tofu
What happened to Radiology or BURST? I guess those gases are flammable. ;)

lol... no way man... I wasn't going to apply to anything but Rads, but I talked to a Rads Chief Resident friend of mine, and he convinced me that I have nothing to lose by applying to some Gas programs, interviewing, and ranking them below any Rads programs I interview at on my ROL.