different types of clinical experience, which one to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenstandard2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading a similar post about "clinical experience" --- my question is not whether it is important to have clinical experience before applying to med school, but what exactly the best type of experience is to have. My pre-med advisor told me that clinical experience had to be in an in-patient setting, however I was hoping to do my clinical volunteering in low-income out-patient clinic. I was advised against this. How important is it to be in an in-patient setting (i.e. a major hospital)? I had been under the impression that as long as you were in a setting where doctors and patients were interacting, and you had some contact with patients and were able to assimilate a good understanding of what being a doctor entails, you were doing well for yourself. Do you guys have any suggestions? It seems that "clinical experience" is a vital part of any application.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest with you, any direct patient contact is fine. it is important that you are around doctors, so i think what you are doing is fine. It is different and as long as you enjoy it and benefit from it, then it should be no problem...all they want to make sure is that you know what medicine entails..and you can speak and interact with human beings...:D

I was reading a similar post about "clinical experience" --- my question is not whether it is important to have clinical experience before applying to med school, but what exactly the best type of experience is to have. My pre-med advisor told me that clinical experience had to be in an in-patient setting, however I was hoping to do my clinical volunteering in low-income out-patient clinic. I was advised against this. How important is it to be in an in-patient setting (i.e. a major hospital)? I had been under the impression that as long as you were in a setting where doctors and patients were interacting, and you had some contact with patients and were able to assimilate a good understanding of what being a doctor entails, you were doing well for yourself. Do you guys have any suggestions? It seems that "clinical experience" is a vital part of any application.

That's the perfect summary of clinical experience that med schools want. :thumbup:
If you feel the position at that clinic you want to work in encompasses that definition, then go for it. And as LizzyM says...if you're close enough to smell the patient, it's clinical experience...love that line