Different undergraduate schools looked at differently?

bannanababy146

Aug 8, 2011
Illinois
  1. Pre-Veterinary
    I was wondering if the undergraduate school you went to is taken into consideration when you apply or not. For instance if you compare people that went to a top rated school vs. a small private school would GPAs be looked at differently? would an A at one school be considered a B at another school etc.

KHE

15+ Year Member
    Jun 14, 2005
    1. Optometrist
      I was wondering if the undergraduate school you went to is taken into consideration when you apply or not. For instance if you compare people that went to a top rated school vs. a small private school would GPAs be looked at differently? would an A at one school be considered a B at another school etc.

I don't know if there's a direct conversion but yes, it should seem obvious that a Yale degree will be looked at slightly differently than Southeastern Arkansas State.

(No offense meant to Southeastern Arkansas State graduates)

I don't know if there's a direct conversion but yes, it should seem obvious that a Yale degree will be looked at slightly differently than Southeastern Arkansas State.

(No offense meant to Southeastern Arkansas State graduates)

yea, at houston they told us (we are a top school) that they rate competitiveness 1-7 and if your school is higher on the scale, then you will be given an advantage/boost/special consideration

About the Ads

nicmc

Oct 8, 2010
      1. Optometry Student

From what I was told during the application process, people who go to a top-rated school can have lower GPAs than people who did not and still be accepted. It helps out those with the tougher curriculum to level the playing field (the OAT levels it somewhat as well). Also, if you go to a tough school and do very well, you are very competitive for scholarships.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.