Differential block - what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papa Lou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm being asked to do a differential block. The patient has had no improvement several months postop after a few different injections. It's L2/3 and L4/5. I searched on the forums and saw this has been discussed in Waldman in the past. I'm not sure I want to carry on with the procedure as it may be futile. But would someone please tell me how to even perform it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People here feel that the concept is flawed due to uncontrolled extravasation with even
small volumes. If you have a Stimuplex you could do a comparative anesthetic only block
sequentially with a pain and paresthesia diary. But, this technique hasn't been validated.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Uncontrolled extravasation into the adjacent musculature has no impact on the pharmacokinetics of lidocaine and marcaine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using SDN mobile

he is talking about uncontrolled extravasation to the next level. IE: lack of specificity. Furman's stuff. i think

The old way was to use procaine intrathecal in increasing concentration injections to select out sympathetics then sensory then motor...

Reactions: 2 users
differential block is time-consuming to do...if done properly, it differentiates somatic, sympathetic and psychogenic pain.

Reactions: 1 user