difficult decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in a dilemma, so far I have only received 1 MD interview but that is scheduled for february,however i am also accepted to UQ Oscner in australia and was planning on that as a backup (which also starts in february), should i take the risk of turning down uq for the potential of a md in the states (its just an interview and if i am rejected - i don't have anything else) or just suck it up and go abroad
mcat - 505
gpa 3.7
masters gpa 3.67
i am surprised i even got an md interview with my low mcat, sucks that I can't move it sooner :(

Members don't see this ad.

Im in a dilemma, so far I have only received 1 MD interview but that is scheduled for february,however i am also accepted to UQ Oscner in australia and was planning on that as a backup (which also starts in february), should i take the risk of turning down uq for the potential of a md in the states (its just an interview and if i am rejected - i don't have anything else) or just suck it up and go abroad
mcat - 505
gpa 3.7
masters gpa 3.67
i am surprised i even got an md interview with my low mcat, sucks that I can't move it sooner :(

You also have reported having 8 DO interviews. That is important information if you really want honest opinions about your best choice.

Reactions: 5 users
mcat - 505
gpa 3.7
masters gpa 3.67

If it were me I'd turn down the Aussie school and go to the md interview. If you don't get in just retake the MCAT and apply early next cycle OP.

Also, if you do indeed have 8 DO interviews, you should attend those, and frankly a US DO degree is worth more than an international degree. Unless you have some affiliation with Australia, I don't see why this would be of serious consideration.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the exact match rates, but if your goal is to practice medicine in the United States take all the DO interviews and wait until February for that MD interview. It will be much harder for you to match back into the United States for residency from that Australian school than a US DO program...

Reactions: 1 users
mcat - 505
gpa 3.7
masters gpa 3.67
Do you want to be a doctor or not? Beggars can't be choosy.. the fastest route to your being a doctor will be by going to a do school, unless you luck out with the m d interview.

Reactions: 1 user
mcat - 505
gpa 3.7
masters gpa 3.67

So, the letters after your name matter to you that much?
Just go to a D.O. school. Nobody is going to care which school you went to it's all about the residency (which btw, you'll have a better chance of getting if you stay in The United States).

The thing is I did 3 interviews already for do schools and I got rejected from them ,I have 3 more (it was 6 not 8 my mistake) so I'm concerned that I won't get any acceptances

The thing is I did 3 interviews already for do schools and I got rejected from them ,I have 3 more (it was 6 not 8 my mistake) so I'm concerned that I won't get any acceptances

Having three post interview rejections suggests you maybe interviewing poorly; I'd definitely recommend practicing either by yourself (filiming yourself answering questions for body language and eye contact practice) or using a service that does so.

If you still have 4 more american medical school interviews, just go to those OP. That's more than a lot of people get in a cycle frankly. It's up to you to turn one into an admission. Truthfully I wonder if your angst over these past rejections is what is prompting the consideration of the aussie school. Again, there's not a whole lot of reason to go down that route.

I am going for the other interviews (areas and schools not my top choices ) but I am down about the last 2 (both top choices for me:( ) , 1 school I didn't even like
That is correct that is the reason I'm considering UQ oschner
I'm married and I just want to start my med school training already so I'm a bit frustrated

I am going for the other interviews (areas and schools not my top choices ) but I am down about the last 2 (both top choices for me:( ) , 1 school I didn't even like
That is correct that is the reason I'm considering UQ oschner
I'm married and I just want to start my med school training already so I'm a bit frustrated

Look at the interview tips on SDN (I used a book called interview tips from admissions faculty or something), Goro also has a tips thread specifically for D.O. schools, apply more broadly (it may be a little too late to submit primaries to schools but it's worth trying).

Even then it's worth waiting a year to go to a school in the U.S. even if it's new or "bad." I don't know your background or situation, but waiting a year and strengthening your app so you can stay in the country would probably be better for your marriage than moving to Australia for two years (with or without them). 1 year in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

You really need to work on your interviewing if you got rejected post 3 DO interviews with your stats.

Trust me, she will be much happier in med school here than if you were to drag her across the world.